AirPort 'n' USB question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've noticed that you can now attached a USB hard disk drive to the AirPort base station and share it across the network. I've also noticed that you can stil attach a printer and share it.

My question is, can you only attach one device, or could you attach say two USB hard disks and a couple of printers via a USB hub?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Oh, and does anybody know if the USB port is USB 2.0 (I would have hoped so) or USB 1.0 (completely fucking useless - like 100Mbps Ethernet).
  • Reply 2 of 12
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Seems like you can connet multiple USB devices via a USB hub. I still can't find any mention of whether it's a USB 2.0 or USB 1.0 port though...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Seems like you can connet multiple USB devices via a USB hub. I still can't find any mention of whether it's a USB 2.0 or USB 1.0 port though...

Hey Messiah,

Nice conversation you got there.

According to the specs on Apple's website it *is* USB 2.

However the best benchmarking speed has it transferring data at around 3Megabytes per second.

So only about twice the speed of USB1.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I've noticed that you can now attached a USB hard disk drive to the AirPort base station and share it across the network. I've also noticed that you can stil attach a printer and share it.

My question is, can you only attach one device, or could you attach say two USB hard disks and a couple of printers via a USB hub?

I am using a Cannon printer and a 160 GB USB external drive with my new Airport Extreme and it is working flawlessly.

Cheers.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    This might be a cool solution for getting my bulky HP AIO off of my desk area and into a more central location.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rplat View Post

I am using a Cannon printer and a 160 GB USB external drive with my new Airport Extreme and it is working flawlessly.

Cheers.

• Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

This might be a cool solution for getting my bulky HP AIO off of my desk area and into a more central location.

I'm printing to an older Epson 1270 and it works great from a couple of MACs and a windows XP box. Haven't tried the USB hard drive or hub yet.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

I'm printing to an older Epson 1270 and it works great from a couple of MACs and a windows XP box. Haven't tried the USB hard drive or hub yet.

The only thing I am having trouble conceptualizing is printing to the AE from two computers. Both are wired to the existing wireless router, and at present I use Printer Sharing on the one that is wired to the printer so that the other computer can print (all wired - no wireless used in this arrangement). I wonder if I can still print through the second computer if it is going to be connected to the printer through the AE?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

The only thing I am having trouble conceptualizing is printing to the AE from two computers. Both are wired to the existing wireless router, and at present I use Printer Sharing on the one that is wired to the printer so that the other computer can print (all wired - no wireless used in this arrangement). I wonder if I can still print through the second computer if it is going to be connected to the printer through the AE?

I used to print from my MacBook to an iMac with a shared usb printer connected to the iMac.

When I installed AE, I had to add the printer on both computers. Neither computer saw the printer under the old shared settings. Both easily saw it connected to the AE when I went to add the printer. When I run Windows XP on the MacBook, Bonjour sets the printer up easily.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rplat View Post

Cheers.

can you boot os x from that drive, or do you still need a firewire drive for backup??
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

can you boot os x from that drive, or do you still need a firewire drive for backup??

No, the USB drive connected to the Airport base station will not boot. Of course you can boot an external Firewire or USB drive when it is connected to a USB port on the computer.

Cheers.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Does anyone know if you can hook up a USB 2.0 CD Rom drive?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M.O.S.T View Post

Does anyone know if you can hook up a USB 2.0 CD Rom drive?

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that it does not support optical drives, just hard drives.