Shake

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Alright, this is my first official post here in AI, but I've been reading and lurking for over a year now.

My question is about Shake. Apple now owns this software, but I'm curious if anyone here knows much about it or has experience with it. Basically, i'm an FCP3/AE5.5 user who is contemplating Shake, but I need to be convinced that it's worth the $5K first! What will I be able to do that I can't do now?!

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Well, there's <a href="http://www.apple.com/shake/"; target="_blank">this</a>. It looks pretty cool, but damn is it expensive.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by OBJRA:

<strong>Alright, this is my first official post here in AI, but I've been reading and lurking for over a year now.

My question is about Shake. Apple now owns this software, but I'm curious if anyone here knows much about it or has experience with it. Basically, i'm an FCP3/AE5.5 user who is contemplating Shake, but I need to be convinced that it's worth the $5K first! What will I be able to do that I can't do now?!

Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Shake buys you speed. AE is supported well but I don't think it has the brute strength that Shake has. Check out <a href="http://www.highend2d.com"; target="_blank">www.highend2d.com</a> for some good discussions of Shake, Combustion and other 2D apps.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Well....speed in Shake is impressive. Takes 2 secs to render one frame @ 2000x1200 and with 8 composits.

When I saw the demo last week people in there (98% of them are using PCs with other high end compositing apps like Infero, etc....) admitted that Shake on Mac is running pretty decently especially to Apple's current Ultra-Lame Hardware Offering (tm)

But there is no way in hell one person can afford it. $5000 US for the app + extra cost on rendering engine + annual support fee.......unless you have millions of dollars in your bank otherwise go for cheaper solutions like Combustion or After Effects.

[ 11-12-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ha I never new about <a href="http://www.highend2d.com"; target="_blank">www.highend2d.com</a> although I have visited highend3d.com a bunch of times...

As far as shake verses AE...does shake have access to as many plug-ins as AE? Also I am wondering if there is word of a future version of Shake that takes advantage of Quartz Extreme and let's will let you render using the new Nvidia NV30's..an apple rep in a maccentral interview said the quartz extreme should help in compositing but still no word of a compositing app using it yet
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Combustion isn't a hell of a lot cheaper to buy. At least you can use it with a JBOD array. Their higher end software requires their custom Stone framestore disk array.

I use Combustion, and I've played with Shake in X. I ust prefer Combustion because I'm used to discreet's 3D compositing tools and interfaces from operating their Flame and Flint software.

If you're a student, you can pick up Combustion for $800 from discreet.

Basically, I would say 2d compositing applications are going to be a lot like the 3d apps out there; They can all produce great end results, but some are just going to do it faster and/or with a better interface and tools. I haven't used AE in abotu two revisions, but it wasn't really on the same playing field as Combustion last time I used it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    After Effects is the easiest to use compositing tool. The best thing is that it can combine both 2D and 3D composits into same scene which combustion can't (everything has to be in 3D space which can slow things a lot)

But the rendering speed in AE.......ugh......

Like compare a cheetah (shake) and snail (AE)

AE's MP support is ridiculous at best.

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>