Pismo Power Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, all,

Have I killed my beloved Pismo?

When I press the power button, the computer does not come on. No chime, no whirring of the hard drive--nothing. However, if my iPod is plugged in via FireWire, it (the iPod) will begin to charge when I press the power button, and the iPod will stop charging if I hold down the power button again for a few seconds. So the power button itself is working.

Back story: I exchanged the stock 64 MB module on the bottom of the daughter card for a 512 MB module. The 512 module was of the 133 variety. Already installed on the top of the daughter card was a 128 MB module of the 100 variety. After putting the computer back together, it would not turn on. While exchanging the memory, I forgot to take out the battery, and there was still a wireless card plugged into the PCMCIA slot.

What I've tried: I tried exchanging the daughter card. I tried putting the old memory back in. I tried resetting the PMU by pressing the reset button on the back. I tried unplugging the PRAM. I tried leaving the computer unplugged and without a battery all night. All of these have not helped.

So...I'm out of ideas. Is it possible that plugging in a 133 speed module would somehow damage the computer or require some sort of reset? Is it possible that leaving the battery in during the procedure did something bad to the motherboard? All ideas are most welcome....I can take whatever bad news you have to give!

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Best,

Bob

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Just a follow-up: turns out I had not pressed hard enough on the daughter card when re-installing. You've got to give that sucker some force, more than you might expect. I ended up popping out the upper memory, pressing hard on the daughter card, and then reinstalling the upper memory. I'm now back up and running.