Photoshop Alternatives

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello Forum,

are there any cheap alternatives to Photoshop for basic image editing tasks in the area of budget webdesign?

Thanks for your ideas

Andreas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Have you looked at Photoshop elements? Many of full blown photoshop's features but a sub $100 price. Only downside is that it's not universal. What Mac do you have or plan to use?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    its hard to find a good free image editor.

just get photoshop. only an idiot/business/school would pay for it anyway
  • Reply 3 of 10
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chirho View Post

its hard to find a good free image editor.

just get photoshop. only an idiot/business/school would pay for it anyway

So you say buy it, then point out an idiot would buy it...

Look at GraphicConverter. It's a pretty powerful tool... I've been using it for a while now. It's shareware, but if you don't pay for it, it only makes you wait 10 seconds befre using it, other than that it doesn't remove any functionality. 30 Euros to save that 10 seconds.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I've seen a crack floating around that makes the free photoshop cs3 beta basically extended for an unlimited amount of time.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    i think chocoflop is coming alone. last time i checked it out it was pretty good.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    i meant get photoshop.....but dont pay for it......*wink wink*
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    I'm on the Intel platform and tried Photoshop, but it *is* slow thanks to emulation and it is also overkill in terms of its features. Why would I steal something that I can't even use?

I found Gimpshop, which is free, but requires X11 (have to wait until I get home and get my Tiger DVD). Any experiences with that? I'll check out Chocoflop and GrapicConverter, thanks for the Input!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I discovered another one:

Seashore: http://seashore.sourceforge.net

- open source and free

- layer support

- clean interface

- Universal is available: http://seashore.sourceforge.net/preview.php

So far the best I found. I tried ChocoFlop and GraphicConverter but they don't seem to go beyond Seashore in functionality (for my needs...), cost more and have a messier interface.

I will check out Gimpshop under X11 this weekend, when I get hold of my Tiger DVD, unless someone wants to send me X11User.pkg from his via iChat.

Maybe others here could give Seashore a shot and send some of their thoughts. It seems like a great thing to have an open source, Cocoa-based image editor on the Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I've seen a crack floating around that makes the free photoshop cs3 beta basically extended for an unlimited amount of time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chirho View Post

i meant get photoshop.....but dont pay for it......*wink wink*

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ak1808 View Post

[..], unless someone wants to send me X11User.pkg from his via iChat.

When did this turn into a warez place?
  • Reply 10 of 10

I didn't think this was Warez because obviously X11User.pkg is useless without a copy of Tiger, in which case you have X11User.pkg anyway. It's just a matter of having physical access to your DVD at the moment or not.

In regards to stealing Photoshop, I didn't like that either here. I mean, that's why I started a threat about alternatives in the first place, cause I didn't want to steal.