Should I get the wife a G3 laptop?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My question to all of you is should I get hte wife an old G3 for JUST internet surfing, itunes, and video? She has a OK PC laptop, but it runs dog slow and I have a feeling a Mac would be able to run allot faster, am I right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    It should be fine, so long as itunes, surfing and video is all she wants to do..
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Sure, but max the RAM.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feartec View Post

My question to all of you is should I get hte wife an old G3 for JUST internet surfing, itunes, and video? She has a OK PC laptop, but it runs dog slow and I have a feeling a MAC would be able to run allot faster, am I right?

a old G3 is going to be dog slow too....
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

a old G3 is going to be dog slow too....

Don't agree I got one for my wife, it has the max RAM, and it is much better than acceptable running 10.4, Firefox, and so on...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I use a G3 laptop and it works fine for internet, iTunes, and MS Office. Plus there are lots of little programs it is really good at.

But I have to disagree on the video. You Tube videos stutter, especially while downloading. DVD's work fine, but don't even think about h.264. MP4 videos (DVD resolutions) also drop frames now and then when there is a lot of motion.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    yes ... a G4 will be much better handling video. And an old G4 iBook shouldn't be too much more $ than a G3. (Though the G3 will handle everything else you mentioned OK.)
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

yes ... a G4 will be much better handling video. And an old G4 iBook shouldn't be too much more $ than a G3. (Though the G3 will handle everything else you mentioned OK.)

I agree. I am currently running an iBook G4 w/ 1GHz PPC and a 1GB of RAM, and I can do all of the things that have been stated as needs with ease...

iBook G4 should fit the bill nicely, both in price and function....
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I think I will get her a G4, but might wait for the duo's to go down in price, it will make it more of a long lasting investment...the G3 would be fine, but what about when the new OS comes out, you know what I mean?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

...the G3 would be fine, but what about when the new OS comes out, you know what I mean?

I think Leopard will drop support for all G3 machines. Anyone can confirm?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I think Leopard will drop support for all G3 machines. Anyone can confirm?

Recent release notes have dropped any G3 machines from the supported list, yes. They could always revert that decision, but I doubt they will.

You can always circumvent such limitations through tools like XPostFacto, but there is little point. Tiger is already slow on even the fastest G3s. Panther is pretty much the sweet spot; at least it was on my iBook G3 with a 700 MHz 750fx and 640 MBs of RAM. I did use Tiger on it in the end, but with Spotlight and Dashboard on, it was quite slow.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

My question to all of you is should I get hte wife an old G3 for JUST internet surfing, itunes, and video? She has a OK PC laptop, but it runs dog slow and I have a feeling a Mac would be able to run allot faster, am I right?

What's an OK laptop? Give us factual info! Type of processor and Mhz or Ghz? We can't tell you if the G3 will be faster when you haven't told us what she currently has.

At this point I would tend to stay away from G3's unless you're really on that much of a budget.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

G3? Really? so last century.