Kernal Panics. Would Someone Please Consider Helping Me?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My computer is crashing more and more with these kernal panics.

I am not sure exactly where crash logs reside and am hoping an expert can talk me through this and fix the problem.

It's been going on a long time and is getting worse.

I have checked ram by booting from the OS disks and it checked out fine. Maybe the hard drive is going.

I'd be willing to pay a small fee if an expert can steer me in the right direction.

What do you think?

It is a Dual G5 2.7 with 4.5Gig of ram. It's done it under every version of operating system I've had. Right now I'm on 10.4.8

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    By the way, I just read another post saying to reseat the ram and airport card so I'll try that.

Also, the last time it did this, right on the screen it said something like:

CPU=1 Debugging trap

unaligned frame address

Kernal version 8.8.0
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    You log file is in /Library/logs/panic.log.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    KPs are usually caused by hardware problems.

Disconnect all USB and FireWire devices except the Apple keyboard and the mouse.

Remove the most-recently added RAM module, then the next, etc.

Panic logs usually don't help, but post 'em anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Football View Post

By the way, I just read another post saying to reseat the ram and airport card so I'll try that.

Also, the last time it did this, right on the screen it said something like:

CPU=1 Debugging trap

unaligned frame address

Kernal version 8.8.0

You are the proud owner of a driver bug that thought it was smarter about memory allocation than the memory subsystem. Or you have some very subtle disk corruption that only flipped a couple bits in a sector that happens to do memory management. Or worst case a failing motherboard.

The frame address is the physical address for a memory access. The misalignment would end up in a frame request fulfillment that straddles the boundary of two physical frames. Since virtual memory requests are filled a frame at a time you eventually asked for one and not enough bytes to fill the request for came back. The memory controller recognized that as the read came inbound and forwarded the error signal to the CPU, which prompted the OS to panic.

First I would try an archive and install, that would eliminate the driver bug & corruption as possibilities. Run for awhile, like a week or two, that way before even considering installing any 3rd party drivers. If you still have problems the logs may be more helpful.