MB Optical Drive Recall? Anyone else having problems importing to iTunes?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a new C2D MacBook (about 3 weeks old) and I'm having to use my 3+ year old iBook to import my CD collection. The new MacBook will rip only BRAND NEW CDs. Anything with the slightest scratch or dust it always hangs on when importing. It will start importing (via iTunes) and get part way through the CD and just hangs on a track, the drive spins up, down, up, down, etc... and usually iTunes quits responding and takes 99% CPU.

I see many others are having this problem.

A couple weeks ago I started a thread about it here, but no real answers yet.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a fix anywhere? I'm PISSED! This is unacceptable!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I have the same problem. Itunes freezes when I try to import or play cds with minor scratches. The cds import without problem and without any skips when using other optical drives. It is a design flaw in the new "super" drives.

I brought mine into a genius bar and called apple care, they were not helpful at all at the store, said the drive had very low tolerances because it's so thin, and it was normal operation. But even so, itunes should be able to simply skip the song or leave a"skip" in the ripped track instead of freezing and me having to forcequit the appllication.

Applecare said that the engineers were aware of the problem and made me spend several hours doing data captures to send them then said they'd get back to me in a week, which never happened. But I can't do anything about it now because my applecare phone support is expired.

Anyway, they said the engineers were working on some fix, which may or may not be true. I'd suggest calling applecare and letting them know your problem, if they know that alot of people are upset they'd be more likely to do something.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by duct tape View Post

I have the same problem. Itunes freezes when I try to import or play cds with minor scratches. The cds import without problem and without any skips when using other optical drives. It is a design flaw in the new "super" drives.

I brought mine into a genius bar and called apple care, they were not helpful at all at the store, said the drive had very low tolerances because it's so thin, and it was normal operation. But even so, itunes should be able to simply skip the song or leave a"skip" in the ripped track instead of freezing and me having to forcequit the appllication.

Applecare said that the engineers were aware of the problem and made me spend several hours doing data captures to send them then said they'd get back to me in a week, which never happened. But I can't do anything about it now because my applecare phone support is expired.

Anyway, they said the engineers were working on some fix, which may or may not be true. I'd suggest calling applecare and letting them know your problem, if they know that alot of people are upset they'd be more likely to do something.

Ah, so I'm not the only one with the problem! Yes, duct tape, your symptoms sound exactly like mine. I'm going to call Apple today about it. It's totally unacceptable the way it is. And, yes, if it insists on failing to rip a track it should NOT freeze up the whole machine... it SHOULD be smart enough to skip the track or give the user the option to skip/abort. I HATE OVERSIGHTS LIKE THIS! "World's Most Advanced Operating System" Yea, right
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Hey, I thought the Apple techs are suppose to "know" tech stuff! I call Apple support this morning. Talked to Regina about my issue... check this out... SHE JUST WANTED TO GET OFF THE PHONE QUICK SO SHE TOLD ME TO TRASH ITUNES, REINSTALL IT, AND THEN CALL BACK! WTFFFFF?!

I told her I really didn't think that was the issue because I have the same problem even when copying the AIFF files from the CD via the finder (no iTunes involved). But I figured I'd give her the benefit of the dout, or humor her, so I tried it. Sure enough that was a WASTE of my TIME.

So I called back, got a sweet, young sounding girl. She didn't know jAcKsH!t either. She acted like she has never heard of this issue. Finally she just suggested going to my nearest Apple Store and have them troubleshoot it there.

What happened to the days where you could actually get a tech dude (usually a male) on the phone who knows stuff?

Edit: Sorry for the semi-sexist remark there in my last sentence. Hey, I love girls, and girl vs guy doesn't really matter to me as long as they know their stuff. I know there are good and bad techs in either gender, and I know there are girls out there who know a heck of a lot more than myself. It's just that I usually talk to a male, and then when I do happen to talk to a female (like today) they happen to know nothing. They really were NO help AT ALL.