iChat AV woes after 10.4.6 upgrade

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello All,

This is my first post here, so first off, howdy!

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, a little bit of background info.

Powerbook G4, previously running 10.3.9, PowerPC (not intel chipset) 1.33 Ghz, 1.25 GB ram.

I upgraded to 10.4.8 on Monday in anticipation of Photoshop CS2 suite coming in the mail. I have been using my Panasonic Mini DV camcorder via Firewire for a web cam to chat with my girl while shes at school (Shes got a MacBook, running 10.4.8, with the built-in iSight). Audio and Video chats have always worked flawlessly, assuming we both had enough bandwidth at the time. Shes at school, so sometimes thats not always an option.

After the upgrade, I have been unable to either initiate or accept a video chat. Also, I have had very poor luck with the audio chat (it works 1 in maybe 20 tries).

The two errors I have been getting say either "Your camera is in use by another application", and "There is no webcam connected to this computer".

Most of the time, iChat does NOT display the green video box, but when it does, the message pops up saying "your camera is in use....". Likewise, when I recieve a video invitation from my girl, it says "XXX XXX wants to start a video chat, but it appears that your camera is in use...."

Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem?

Your help is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

-John

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Well,

After trashing the ' com.apple.iChat.***** ' files in my user/library/preferences folder, updating quicktime, and changing my 'streaming' option from 'automatic' to the speed of my connection, and a restart, the problem seems to have solved itself....

hope this can help someone else with the same problem!

-John