used PowerBook G4 - is this a good deal?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Powerbook G4

1.0ghz

768mb ram

80 gig hard drive (5400 RPM, Western Digital- under a month old, still have box and receipt from Best Buy- warranty until december '07)

Superdrive

17 inch 1440x900 screen

Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, Built in Ethernet, FW 400+800, USB

New battery (aftermarket)

No modem

slight wear and tear (i've seen pictures, it's not that bad)

$750

is this a good deal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    It's an OK deal, but it's not a great deal. I have a 1GHz/1GB TiBook that I use for basic internet browsing, word processing, and that kind of thing. I think I'd rather shell out a bit more for a new macbook, though, than get that old AluBook.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Try to get it down $100
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I agree with Splinemodel, unless you absolutely need the 17", a MacBook is a much better value for a few $$$ more. A 1GHz G4 is pretty slow these days...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    See if you can talk them down and then you might consider dropping for this upgrade as well.

http://www.barefeats.com/pbcd.html
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbsstunta View Post

See if you can talk them down and then you might consider dropping for this upgrade as well.

http://www.barefeats.com/pbcd.html

That benchmark shows that they even shut off one of the Macbook cores (hence Macbook solo) and that still kicked the upgraded G4's ass by about 50% in most of the tests. So:

1 x solo Intel = 1.5 x G4

1 x Core Duo Intel = 3 x G4

It's actually nearer 4-5x for the standard 1.5GHz G4s so for the money, a 1Ghz G4 is very bad value. I've used a 1Ghz G4 powerbook and it was really slow. The owner couldn't wait to get rid of it to get a Core Duo iMac.

Plus, when you see that you can get a refurb Macbook with $150 off, leaving only a $200 gap between it and this deal, it makes the choice a lot easier.

Sure it's a smaller screen but you can get an external one and still have a more portable laptop. A 17" laptop is huge.

If you could get it down to $500 and you don't need it for anything beyond basic computer use, that may change things a bit but I still wouldn't get a 17" laptop.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I'd consider it too high, but what do I know... I'd be surprised if I could get that for my 1.5 G4 15"

You'd get SO MUCH more from a macbook ... and if you only occasionally NEED the bigger screen, you can always plug in a cheap 19" monitor.