Freezes after upgrade

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Looking for some help with a Powerbook G4 1.25GHz running 10.2.8 with 512mb RAM and Boot ROM version 4.7.1f1.

The computer has been working perfectly for quite some time and has had no problems with anything other than the typical defect in the screen that this model period develops. The problem began when my employer required an update of the OS to at least 10.3 to stay on the network. An in-house "APPLE" IT guy tried to install tiger from disk and couldn't. Suspecting the CD/DVD drive was bad, he cracked open the machine and disconnected it. 10.4 was then installed by firewire in target disk mode. After the installation the machine wouldn't boot, and booting from verbose mode showed a hangup with the airport card. So now the airport card was disabled from target mode boot. But the problem remained. With better things to do than work on an older powerbook, the computer was diagnosed with major hardware issues and left dead and unusable.

Needing badly to use the computer, I performed a clean install of 10.2 in target disk mode. I updated 10.2 completely then repeated the process with 10.3. I immediately had trouble with freezes at log in or shortly afterward. Very inconsistent with no one thing triggerring the freezes. I tried all of the usual things like zapping the PRAM and resetting the PMU. Nothing helped. I went back and put 10.2 on the machine as before, updated it, and had absolutely no problems for using the machine. A little later I reinstalled the CD/DVD drive plug and the airport card and both have had no deleterious effect on the system stability and both function perfectly. I've run AHT several times and it has found no problems. It's been about a week now and no crashes. So, I thought maybe I should try installing 10.3 from the drive.....right. Wrong, the computer froze at boot from the panther CD. I haven't tried installing any upgrades to the OS since and all is stable.

Why can't I update to 10.3?

My RAM seems to check out with AHT, although I was planning on running it for an extended period in loop mode.

My firmware should be okay..right?

Should I try a clean install of 10.3? I'll have to do that in T-mode since I can't start-up with the 10.3 disk 1.

I just can't understand why one system runs perfectly fine with no freezes whatsoever and then the upgrades are completely messed up. Any help would be much appreciated and sorry for such a long post.