New computer hardware probably won't SHIP until after 10.4.9

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since 10.4.9 is necessary to add support for said hardware. Could this possibly account for the 'swing and a miss' regarding February 20th? If this hypothesis is correct, then whatever rumored upcoming February hardware update is in the pipeline is ready to ship, and is just waiting for the software compatibility to be finalized. If it's just something updated by a *.*.X upgrade, though, it's probably not a hardware feature update, just raised specs.

Just laying those things out there because I think they're true

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Can you tell us a little more about this Feb 20th thing? I had no idea Apple said anything was coming out.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Can you tell us a little more about this Feb 20th thing? I had no idea Apple said anything was coming out.

I don't think there is anything more in this than hope that Apple would introduce new machines, historically Power Macs, now Mac Pro's. I have a feeling that with the Intel predictability, Apple tries hard now to become less predictable.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    While the MacPro and the Mini may very well be waiting for 10.4.9, we know that 10.5 is bringing resolution independence.

If Apple is planning high pixel count laptops and iMacs, those would look terrible with 10.4.x. They will have to ship with 10.5.

OTOH, if they're planning a major upgrade for these computers when 10.5 ships, it makes no difference whether it's going to be on March 23rd or June 21st. There won't be any significant updates until then.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    They don't need 10.4.9 for new hardware the quad-core mac pro can work in 10.4.8 they can also come out with a 10.4.8.5 that just has the new drivers.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Apple's been so quiet that I have been thinking they're just waiting for 10.5 before releasing new hardware.

Apple probably wants to offer more than a 0.13 GHZ speed bump when they release new machines.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

They don't need 10.4.9 for new hardware the quad-core mac pro can work in 10.4.8 they can also come out with a 10.4.8.5 that just has the new drivers.

Yeah, they probably could do that. Just add the drivers to a version between 10.4.8 and 10.4.9.

They'd have to come out with a new version of the MacOS if they're adding the new ATI X2800XT as a option or adding some other hardware. They don't want a repeat of the Geforce 6800 Ultra fiasco where the first PowerMac G5's with a Geforce 6800 Ultra came with an update CD. Trouble is, if you wanted to reinstall the system, the MacOS system disk doesn't have the drivers (they were on the update CD) and the PowerMac G5's didn't boot up. lol.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Thay can just add driver to the install disk that comes with the system and why does mac os not a fall back basic vesa, vga , or svga driver, mode?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Thay can just add driver to the install disk that comes with the system and why does mac os not a fall back basic vesa, vga , or svga driver, mode?

That is a really good question. It should be able to support basic 2D display capability with any video card. It might have something to do with it's new and improved startup screen.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

That is a really good question. It should be able to support basic 2D display capability with any video card. It might have something to do with it's new and improved startup screen.

also back in ppc days why did the card / os fall back to base open firmware driver in the cards flash rom?

The new EFI cards can do the same thing.