Virex 7 for OSX?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is it any good? and is there any need to have it in os x or does it stuff up more things than it's fixs?

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I thought there were no OS X virii. And if there were how would they get by UNIX permissions anyway? I've NEVER had a Mac virus. Just don't use sketchy warez or ghetto Hotline servers and you'll be fine
  • Reply 2 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Its feature set is pretty sparse. It can't even auto-update its virus definitions. It's not bad, but not a complete package IMO.

Having said that, the last time I had a virus on my Mac was running 8.6, the autostart worm back in 1998 I think. Of course, by the time I got it, I had up-to-date Norton virus definitions and got through it safely. So I'm not sure if it's worth the price.

I got Virex as part of .Mac, and I hope it gets better by the time I have to choose to pay $100 for another year of it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>I got Virex as part of .Mac, and I hope it gets better by the time I have to choose to pay $100 for another year of it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Likewise. It's a bit like a smoke alarm - once it's gone off a couple of times when a piece of bread gets stuck in the toaster, you remove the batteries. A couple of resets for OS X updates setting Virex off on a full scan, and I took out its batteries.

The lack of automatic update is infuriating.

I'd argue that it's much more important to make sure your firewall is properly set up in OS X, especially if you have a permanent connection, than it is to protect against viruses.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Virex is used mainly to detect PC virus in our Mac so that we dun transfer these infected files to our PC friends.