Google taking on MS Office?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I know that this has been mentioned a time or two around here, but this announcement today seems like the start of something potentially big.

http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...0.html?cnn=yes

The Google spokesman mentions states that "We are not in this to get Microsoft," "We are in this to offer more compelling choices for consumers and businesses." Which to me sounds like a nice way of saying that they are indeed targeting Microsoft. The "Choice" they are offering is something other than people running Microsoft Office.

What do you guys think? I don't see any short term impact from this, but it could be the point that people look back at as the beginning of Google taking over the online software world.

What do you think the MS reaction to this will be both internally and externally? Will Gates go off on another rant full of inconsistencies and FUD? Could be an interesting 5-10 years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I think what would be interesting if Google started to develop software and used their funds as a beginning to create a name for themselves BESIDES online software. It would be interesting to see applications that would say "Developed by Google, Inc.".

You are correct though... it could be an interesting 5-10 years.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Any other opinions? Would you all trust your documents to a web based software suite? I love my gmail account and the convenience of being able to get to my documents from almost anywhere, but I'm still little leery of having my personal word docs, or spreadsheets stored on a remote server somewhere. Call me old fashioned, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to make that leap yet. I'm sure other people feel this way, and businesses will be even more hesitant to put sensitive info outside of their walls (regardless of how safe/unsafe their own system may be).

Will this be a matter of the tide slowly turning as it becomes more and more common?

Thought?

p.s. mods, if this would be better suited for General Discussion, feel free to bounce it over.