Performance of Gentoo Linux on a Power Mac 8500/120

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all. I'm planning on taking my dad's old Power Mac 8500/120 and I wanna transform it into a Linux machine. Will Gentoo Linux run well on a slower machine such as an 8500? If it doesnt can any1 recommend any distros that WILL run optimally on it? It has 64 MB of RAM and a 1GB HD. I plan to maybe use it as a server.

Thanks in advance,

PiBO2k2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    64M may be a little less for a server

depending on what you intend to do with it

<a href="http://forums.gentoo.org"; target="_blank">http://forums.gentoo.org</a>; are your best bet

at this point

im running gentoo on an x86 & its a great distro

for a server
  • Reply 2 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    That's an OK machine; back in the day I ran Linux on my 7600/120 with no problems. Of course, Linux distributions came on one CD back then.

Compiling stuff will take a long time, though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by wmf:

<strong>That's an OK machine; back in the day I ran Linux on my 7600/120 with no problems. Of course, Linux distributions came on one CD back then.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

heh... the Gentoo Linux i have downloaded and on CD **IS** only on 1 CD.... Im just hesitant to install it because of the BootX thing... where you have to have a Mac OS partition........ Would Mandrake/YDL/other PPC ports serve me better?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2:

<strong>

heh... the Gentoo Linux i have downloaded and on CD **IS** only on 1 CD.... Im just hesitant to install it because of the BootX thing... where you have to have a Mac OS partition........ Would Mandrake/YDL/other PPC ports serve me better?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Can any1 help me with this? do i need to have a copy of the Mac OS still installed in order to install Gentoo? its an old world mac so... what does it mean a mac os partition? does it mean that i have to start up in the mac os and then install gentoo like that?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    If i wanted to install Gentoo here on my iBook would I have to partition my drive? or can i install it onto the available space I have left on my HD?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2:

<strong>If i wanted to install Gentoo here on my iBook would I have to partition my drive? or can i install it onto the available space I have left on my HD?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Anyone? I booted up my comp with the Gentoo CD and that didnt help......