No iLife on an mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My brother and I were very fortunate yesterday to both get iMacs. I purchased a brand new 24" from Apple and he bought a used 17" from a store that used it as a display model for a very VERY good price.

When he turned on his computer, he said it was practically brand new because he had to put in all his registration stuff and all that jazz. He later called me and said it had no iLife on it. He said there was no GarageBand, not iPhoto, not even Front Row. This 17" is an Intel iMac so it should have everything, including iLife '06.

What could have happened? EVERY Mac comes with iLife, whether it's '05 or '06 or whatever, so how is this one missing it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Use the install DVD that came with your computer and install it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    You sure that iLife would be on those install discs? And how would I go about installing just those programs, or would I have to reinstall the entire OS for it to be on there?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Just pop the disk in. There are options to install the extra applications.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Download Pacifist. Make sure your Mac is fully booted into the OS, put in Apple install disk 1, then launch Pacifist. You'll then be able to install individual apps. If I was in that situation I'd probably do a clean install though.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Nah, unless things have changed really recently, the install discs give you the option of re-installing the any or all of the iApps and things that came with the computer without re-installing the system.

Look for an "Options" or "Custom" button or some such thing.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    guys, iLife is an extra. You pay for it. iMovie has always been included, but, if you want iWeb you have to pay for it, and possibly other apps in iLife.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by normhead View Post

guys, iLife is an extra. You pay for it.

Not when you buy a new Mac, even a refurb one, which he did.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by normhead View Post

guys, iLife is an extra. You pay for it. iMovie has always been included, but, if you want iWeb you have to pay for it, and possibly other apps in iLife.

Well if you paid extra for it when you bought your mac, you got ripped off.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    You're right, the new one's do include iLife, you pay for the upgrade.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I'm not sure about iLife, but did your brother try to physically find Front Row on his Mac? You can get there with Command+Escape or using the Apple Remote.

If it's a refurb, it could just be a mistake on Apple's part. Maybe the employee who was turning it into a refurb forgot to install iLife on it.

Sebastian
  • Reply 11 of 11
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    iLife is on the second DVD that comes with the computer, so make sure that you have both.