Web Browsers

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know what a fast and very lightweight web browser for os x is? Safari, opera, and firefox are all fine and quick but I was wondering if there was a browser that was less cpu and ram intensive. Any recommendations? Ive tried Sunrise browser hoping it would be very lightweight but that was basically the same as Safari. What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This app is positively light, but I use Safari. You should get more RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Camino is based on Mozilla technology (i.e. Gecko rendering engine) but it is Mac only. Their slogan is "Mozilla Power, Mac Style"
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Camino is a horrible browser, it's nearly as bad as that thing I recommended.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    elinks is lightweight .
  • Reply 5 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Camino is a horrible browser, it's nearly as bad as that thing I recommended.

I disagree--strongly.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I disagree--strongly.

Rightly so, cause you have that right.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Don't worry about speed in a browser. They are usually too close to call in that area anyway. Don't even look at others opinion on the compatability of a browser. I deal with computers a lot, and this is my suggested course when picking a browser.

1. Look at the screenshots before you download. The interface is very important, because it is, for the most part, the only part of the program that you will think about.

2. Try it. Don't just open one page. Browse around sites you visit and make sure that the sites YOU visit work. Don't bother with random web surfing to see if it works or other "compatability tests". Also check features of the browser itself, like tabs or mabye some options. Just make sure there isn't anything that bugs you, like Firefox's slow start-up speed. Don't just follow the crowd, for example, if you usually only use one browser window, don't feel like you really really need tabbed browsing. MAKE SURE THAT THIS IS ABOUT WHAT YOU LIKE!

3. Don't glue yourself to one browser. If you see one you might like it, try it. Avoid the severe browser loyalty that some seem to have. Although I'm not suggesting that you don't have your own preference, just be flexible and don't spend hours trying to get people to use a specific browser.

I, for example, pefer Safari, because the UI is simple, it works well and shows pages correctly, and Firefox gets on my nerves when you need to find somthing quick and you spend half the time waiting for it to open. I also like Safari's interface better than Firefox's, and don't like tabs. I wouldn't look any farther, because I spend more time programming than I do installing and uninstalling web browsers .
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Rightly so, cause you have that right.

Wow. You know how cool that is that there is someone in this world that can say somthing like that?

I appreciate it when someone in this world actually sees that we all have a right to our opinions, and that they are not fact, no matter how opinionated you are.

And also, ditto.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Camino, simple as that.

While I'm here, version 1.1 beta was released yesterday - for the paranoid though, the stable release is still 1.0.3.

This entry composed and posted with Camino 1.1. beta 8) .
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Thanks 'Tankgunk', cheers.

For the record I like Safari the best, and use it for the reasons most people who use do, it's simple, it's clean, it's powerful and it does the job.

Caribou Killa, how much RAM do you have, and what Mac do you have?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    i have (though i have to update my signature) an iBook G4 1.33Ghz. it has 512 ram. ive been thinking about boosting it to atleast 768. Maybe 1 whole gig. i cant afford one whole gig on one stick though.