Weather Widget Bug on Initial Tiger Setup

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This is an amusing bug. Not looking for a solution, just thought I'd post this since it bewildered me for a while and because it's so silly!

I reformatted the hard drives on both my Macs recently. So after reinstalling Tiger, it asks me for my .Mac info, which I skip because I'm not a member, then my name, address, time zone etc. I live in Toronto so I pick the Eastern time zone, and once OS X is all set up, it gives me some default widgets in Dashboard, including the weather widget for Ottawa (even though I told it I live in Toronto). Okay, no big deal, I don't need perfection. But here's the weird thing: the weather in Ottawa always seemed quite a bit warmer than Toronto. This is unusual because Toronto is usually a few degrees warmer than Ottawa. For a while I just thought Ottawa was in the middle of some weird and wonderful warm weather island, but after about a week it was just getting warmer and warmer there while it stayed irritatinglyl frigid here, so I investigated and guess what? It was showing me the weather for Ottawa, West Virginia!

Well at least I don't have to resent Ottawanians any more! I fixed the widget and it's the usual few degrees colder there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Not really a bug. I think Apple just defaults it. I had to change it from Cupertino to my Zip Code in San Francisco when I started up.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I'm afraid I don't agree that this isn't a bug. Setting the default widget to Cupertino, Calif. when you live in San Francisco isn't a bug because they're both in the Bay area and they at least used a place that was near you. Setting the default to Ottawa, West Virginia when you live in Toronto is a bug because 1) the two places are nowhere near each other (they're not even in the same country), and 2) they obviously meant to choose Ottawa, Ontario, but just screwed up. The analogy would be if your default weather widget was set to Cupertino, Venezuela (for which there is a widget, by the way).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Not really a bug. I think Apple just defaults it. I had to change it from Cupertino to my Zip Code in San Francisco when I started up.

Sebastian

• Reply 3 of 4
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toxotes View Post

I'm afraid I don't agree that this isn't a bug. Setting the default widget to Cupertino, Calif. when you live in San Francisco isn't a bug because they're both in the Bay area and they at least used a place that was near you. Setting the default to Ottawa, West Virginia when you live in Toronto is a bug because 1) the two places are nowhere near each other (they're not even in the same country), and 2) they obviously meant to choose Ottawa, Ontario, but just screwed up. The analogy would be if your default weather widget was set to Cupertino, Venezuela (for which there is a widget, by the way).

If they were located in the same Time Zone, I could imagine Apple defaulting it to there, although I don't know what's so special. But I don't know much about the Geography of Canada or how Apple chooses these places, but I'll take your word for it because it's obviously not coincidence if it's obvious they meant another place.

Sebastian
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Just typing in "Stockholm" selects one of the 100 small towns in america called "Stockholm", and not the capitol of Sweden.

It just defaults to American cities first. It'd have been nicer if it asked you when it returned multiple results.