Free (or cheap) program to Scan to PDF

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello. I am looking for an alternavitve to Acrobat to scan files directly to PDF. I have acrobat but, as noted in this thread my scanner software doesn't play nice.

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OS X can generate a PDF from any page you can print. Just print a page, and select the PDF drop down box. It could be as simple as using your scanner software, choosing print, and saving the file.

If you need more control, you could scan in another program and import the file.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    The problem is I have 100+ pages of notes and this would be a very drawn out proscess. Ideally, i am looking for what Acrobat is supposed to do where i can just push scan, put a new page in, push scan and just do that,
  • Reply 3 of 10
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Maybe automater can help? Keep inserting pages into Pages one after the other?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Doesn't Yep use PDF to store scanned documents?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    i have an epson scanner and i can do what you want with the software "epson scan" that came with it.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Are you trying to use OCR though? I don't know of any other OCR products for OS X, but I remember reading somewhere that Adobe's OCR is probably the best (or at least one of the best).
  • Reply 7 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jwink3101 View Post

The problem is I have 100+ pages of notes and this would be a very drawn out proscess. Ideally, i am looking for what Acrobat is supposed to do where i can just push scan, put a new page in, push scan and just do that,

That's going to suck to have to scan all of those. I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap that bulk-scans pages (duplex!) into PDF. However, it makes use of Acrobat and a Fujitsu program. Even so, it may be the best computer peripheral I have ever purchased.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jwink3101 View Post

A lot of copiers can scan and e-mail PDFs. Not sure if you could use a document handler to load that many pages though.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    if you just scan them all as images or whatever you scanner program wants to do them as, it would be quite simple (couple of minutes) to set up a workflow in automater to put them all into a pdf document.

stu
  • Reply 10 of 10
    As mentioned above, EPSON Scan can assemble scanned pages into a PDF document quite quickly. However, it embeds them as (I think) JPEGs. If you want to have OCR text then use Omni Pro X. There are other alternatives but I haven't found any that work as well. (And if it's not 100% accurate, forget it).