To buy or not to buy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am in the market for a macbook / macbook pro or rather I want to be in the market.

At the moment we are in the UK and in 4 weeks we will be moving to Australia and my husband will no longer be able to get student benefits. Although there isn't much different in the actual hardware costs the apple care and mac office benefits are much better whilst he is a student.

I did want to wait to get a macbook, macbook pro or imac but I don't think I can. I was going to get the imac as I could get more spec for money but this wont be easy to take with me and I'll have to wait 12 weeks as it comes by sea (+ I could get whacked by customs).

So I am now thinking thinking about the macbook or macbook pro.

I will be using it for internet, hopefully recording some tv / video, photos and video editing (not much though).

Would you recommend one over the other. I am not sure if I want to shell out the extra for the macbook pro but if I will find the macbook too slow then would consider it. Like I said I wanted to wait especially for leopard and I heard the macbook pro was going to be updated.

Any views?

Sorry about the waffle.

Poppet

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    I would wait until after you have moved. As you mention, you may get hit with importing costs. In addition, there is the cost to transport your computer half-way around the world, and you also would have to worry about it getting damaged in transit. Worrying about such a major move is enough without having to also safeguard a brand-new computer. Sure it may cost an extra hundred quid; but ask yourself, what is peace-of-mind worth?

One posibility, though: why not just buy a copy of Mac:office before you leave? That, at least, cuts down some cost, and it'll be no hardship to pack an extra CD.

When you do get around to buying a new computer, the Macbook will likely be more than adequate for what you need. If you wish to future-proof it, or otherwise make sure that you won't wish you had gone for the Pro, get the 2GHz processor and upgrate to 2GB of RAM. Or, if the only reason that you are looking at a notebook is because it's easier to transport to Australia, then you should definately wait on your purchase.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Check your PMs.