-36 I/O error

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello All,

I?ve been getting a rash or -36 I/O errors recently.

No IPod hooked, no windows networking.

Just simple finder copying of files from external drives to internal, and external to external.

This has happened in the Pro Tools applications as well, when copying a session.

This happens with a few different drives, including the internal.

My drive enclosures are Storcase dual bay FW800

The CPU is a DP2GHz running 10.4.8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Sean

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    -36 means something is wrong with the transfers, either the firewire controller on the device is going or a cable is bad. Swap one or the other out.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I also had this recently and it was a corrupted Disk - not transfer. After doing a disk repair (and there were many problems) everything was fine. The disk that was bad had just had a power supply fail so that was the origin of the problems but it was definitely a corrupt disk that caused the -36 errors.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

I also had this recently and it was a corrupted Disk - not transfer. After doing a disk repair (and there were many problems) everything was fine. The disk that was bad had just had a power supply fail so that was the origin of the problems but it was definitely a corrupt disk that caused the -36 errors.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I?ve swapped out all of the FW cables, [which have been in my rack, and bullet proof for a few years].

The four or five drives in question, also have been solid, and recently rebuilt the directories with Disc Warrior, so that much is solid. 2 are freshly formatted.

I?ve used this rig 12 hours a day for the last 3 years, dozens of different drives, and have never seen this before.

Anything else worth checking?

Could the FW bus of G5 be bad?

If so, how would I check it?

Could it be the system drive causing the issues? I have not graphed it.

Thanks again guys.

Sean
  • Reply 4 of 4
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    To check the hardware on the G5 you would use the boot disk that came with your computer. It should mention "Apple Hardware Test" on it somewhere. Start the computer with the disk in your optical drive and hold down the option key. Instead of booting into Mac OS, you'll be presented with a screen with a couple options to boot from. The one you want is AHT or something like that. It takes a few minutes to boot but you'll get to a screen where you can do Extended or Quick tests. Do at least 2 Extended tests.