airport-NEW question--HELP NEEDED

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My wife just got aniBook, with an airport card and base station.

I use a G4 connected to teh internet through an through an ethernet line to a DSL modem.

I hooked up the airport and connetcted it to my competer through the ethernet cable into the LAN port then to the DSL modem through the WAN port. I configured the airport so that it works with the iBook.... I am using it now

BUT

I cannot get anything other than the Airport Utility to recognize the Base Station from my G4:

the utility will not recognize it after I put in my password.... I have set sharing on both computers so that, theoretically, I should be able to share the BStation .. . . . the setup assistant on the G4 will not recognize the BS at all.

What else can I do?

do I need to reconfigure the dase station settings in the iBook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    just thought that I would add that when I try to click configure in theAirport Admin Utility on the G4 it says that it was unable to read the configuration of the selected base station... this is after I put in the password
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    OK so I got it to work by calling Applehelp right before they closed . .

now I have another problem . .

I want to be able to access the other computer using one of them. I GO to Server but it just searches and searches . .

I have appleshare turned on and I have all of the sharing turned on what's up?

the tech I spoke to said that using the ethernet means that the G4 is dependant on the iBook's innitialization of the Base station . . . whatever that means . . .

I sort of understand. Anyway, it means that I can't use Internet Connect to connect and disconnect because the "ethernet port" has been taken up by the modem . . .

anyway, if anybody understands what this all means and whether it has anything to do with not being able to access one computer to another, then please say something . .

Hell, I even appreciate saying you don't know . . .
  • Reply 3 of 3
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Okay, here's what I can tell you.

When you first set up a Base Station, your wireless computer will connect (through Airport Setup Utility) and configure the base station. Once that's done, you can connect wirelessly, or through the LAN port. The wired system should be set to use Ethernet in your Network System Preference. Both systems should be able to share the connection with no other changes.

However, the catch comes if you're using some kind of dialup service (anything that's not always-on). In that case, you can only connect to your ISP from the wireless system, because it's what triggers the modem on the Base Station.

The question really becomes, does your DSL line require PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)? If that's the case, it might be the reason you're having trouble. Make sure the wired system is set properly to use that, and the Base Station should just pass the PPPoE request straight to the DSL modem. (I think.)

Hope that makes sense.