Help!! Dead Mac

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I took my computer to a Mac store and they took everything off of it. I want to install my operating system

I put the disk in and hold down c and all i get is a blue screen. If i dont hold down c I get the mac blue swirl screen. Could somebody please help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by almostnotquite View Post

I took my computer to a Mac store and they took everything off of it. I want to install my operating system

I put the disk in and hold down c and all i get is a blue screen. If i dont hold down c I get the mac blue swirl screen. Could somebody please help

Try holding command+option+shift+backspace (or delete) right after turning the mac on. This should force the mac to ignore the internal hard drive and look elsewhere for a bootable system.

Also, try holding the option key down at startup to have the mac present a boot menu showing all bootable disks.

Of course you can try zapping the pram to make the mac forget the boot drive choice. Command+Option+P+R at bout until you hear the boot chime a couple of times.

Try a using a bootable firewire drive or put the mac in firewire target mode as a last result. Press and hold T at startup. Then connect the mac to another mac via a firewire cable. Then you could copy a good boot system (OS 9) or possibly install OS X onto it using the other Mac. No guarantee that this would boot your troubled mac though. If you have DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro you can verify and fix problems with the drive using target mode as well.

Good Luck!

BlueKnight