Infernal Affairs vs The (Remake) Departed

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
So has anyone seen this movie, Infernal Affairs, the Honk Kong movie The Departed was based on?

According to some people, mostly in Asia, Infernal Affairs was a much better movie than The Departed, which happened to win best Movie AND Director....

I thought the Deaprted was really good and I'm curious to see this Hong Kong movie to see what all the fuss is about...

A-list actors (DiCaprio, Damon, Wahlberg, Nicholson, Sheen, Baldwin)

A-list Director (Scorcese)

It's hard to beat down a movie with all these things going for it...

anyone have any opinions on this???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Yes, I saw Infernal Affairs. Haven't seen The Departed, so I'm curious what the difference are... I thought it was clever, but the story suffers from the typical willingness of the audience to suspend disbelief. So, if you believe, you'll like it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Hate to burst everyone's bubbles but Internal Affairs is a trilogy.

If you've only seen the Miramax version (part 1) you haven't seen the whole story. I am a big fan of Hong Kong cinema, yet even I haven't seen Internal Affairs. Another fan told me to wait for the box set. Above Hong Kong film, Martin Scorcese is my favorite director of all time. I saw The Departed and since I have no inkling of the original I can't criticize them.

I hope to rent the trio this weekend.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Internal Affairs owns.

The Departed owns.

To me these are two different movies, the fact of location alone makes them very different. I don't think classic "which is better" remake syndrome applies here. The city of boston was a character in the departed that internal affairs didn't have, that alone sets them apart.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Just finished watching TD.... AMEN! TD was laughable and too long. I never felt a connection with the characters as i did with Infernal Affairs. Alot of other bloggers love TD?. saying their are too many holes in the movie?.?we never see how Tony Leung?s character infiltrates the mob, he just does? Leonardo?s character does a better job of explaining it?? WTF? it was left out for a purpose? So it can be explained in the prequel. I felt that TD tried to incorporate elements of Infernal Affairs 2? and now i hear they are working on a TD2? sad. I like how during the oscars the actors and director never gave credit to Infernal Affairs?

I do have to say if you're the type of viewer that loves violence Infernal Affairs is not your movie. Don't get me wrong there is violence but not "Martin Scorsese violence." I bought Infernal Affairs Box set (import) 3 years ago. Watching it for the first time, i was at the edge of my seat the entire movie. So when i heard Brad Pitt bought the rights and Scorsese was directing (plus the reviews by hollywood) i was heavily anticipating this movie... but sad to say was very very disappointed.

Side note.. this has to be Scorsese's worst film IMO. Kinda feels like an Infernal Affairs parody mixed with a little Goodfellas.... Now GOODFELLAS that was A+++++ Scorsese should have won an oscar for that movie. Seems like the industry gave him this oscar because it was due. Apacplypto was a better movie than The Departed
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

but sad to say was very very disappointed.

Side note.. this has to be Scorsese's worst film IMO. Kinda feels like an Infernal Affairs parody mixed with a little Goodfellas.... Now GOODFELLAS that was A+++++ Scorsese should have won an oscar for that movie. Seems like the industry gave him this oscar because it was due. Apacplypto was a better movie than The Departed

You're on crack. His worst film? The one he won an oscar for? I've never seen Infernal Affairs, but come on. The Departed was excellent in every way.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You're on crack. His worst film? The one he won an oscar for? I've never seen Infernal Affairs, but come on. The Departed was excellent in every way.

And who makes their first post on AI to be about a couple of movies? Where do these people come from?

I didn't even realise that this Infernal Affairs movie existed. But I would agree with the statement that The Departed was the best film of the past year. The scene that really convinces me of this is where DiCaprio and Damon are listening to each other breathing over the phone: thirty seconds of silence, and, by this point, the tension is already earned!

No movie is everyone's cup-of-tea, but I thought The Departed was excellent.
  • Reply 7 of 7

I have watched both - Infernal Affairs is so much better that I find it amazing that these two are compared again and again.