Frustrated With Apple's Stock Dashboard Widget? Try This

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
iStocks Widget: International Stock Quotes

Some people may find the brown a little "jarring" 8)

Here's my "AeroGlass" !! skin mod

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7152743...7594564868094/

Seriously though, check out

http://maba.wordpress.com/2006/09/05...-stock-quotes/

"Tracking stocks can be fun on the Mac, thanks to the Dashboard. However, my home stock market is Germany and Apple’s Stocks dashboard widget, which comes with Mac OS X 10.4, only displays quotes and charts of US stocks. (Actually it’s a limitation of Apple’s quote server and not of the code.) There are 2200 registered widgets available currently, with some dozens of them related to international stock markets. It’s sad, but none of these widgets were as nice or useful for me as Apple’s.

...So, with a little time to spare today, I’ve completed a small hack which I had on my Todo list for quite a long time. iStocks Widget is a modification (aka patch or clone) of the original Stocks widget which pulls its stock information from the international Yahoo quotes servers. So basically, you can track any stock as long as there’s a corresponding Yahoo symbol. The symbols usually carry information about the stock exchange location, like “SIE.DE” is Siemens, XETRA, Germany.
"

....Works well for a lot of international stock indices, etc. Also I hated how the Apple Stock Widget, as wonderful as it is, sometimes refuses to update the numbers when the stock market is closed. Quote.com problem, maybe, I dunno. Anyway, enjoy.

Mods, please move to other section as appropriate if needed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Hi, just found out Flickr converts everything to JPG by the looks of it, so... hmm... Anyway, you can have a play with the images to skin your own Stocks Dashboard widget.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    That basically a wrose version of Apple's widget the same colour as that brown music player, no thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That basically a wrose version of Apple's widget the same colour as that brown music player, no thanks.

Heh. The brown is a bit rough huh? Actually in the Widget itself it is very easy to restore the Blue skin, the Blue skin images are in a folder in the Widget when you download it.

The important point is that it A. Can be Blue again and B. It pulls data from Yahoo instead of Quote.com, Quote.com being problematic for a lot of International users.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thank You for that great post. I really love to read postings that are about the stock market and its current condition. Reading related articles make me more knowledgeable about stock market as I invested my money in the market.