is photoshop elements pretty decent?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
is this program more than just a cut-down version of photoshop? i need a program to do some simple batch editing and graphics conversion. i like to tinker with filters, but nothing to serious. should i buy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's apretty good deal IMO. Does most of what people use Photoshop for, unless you need really professional features like CMYK support and channel control. Has lots of the same filters, effects, color, and value control of regular Photoshop, most of the layering tools like adjustment layers and effects, file formats for import/export, plug-ins, etc. etc.

The only things I don't like about Elements I can mostly avoid, such as the dumb color correction wizard stuff. I'm no fan of the Windows toolbar-like options palette, though it's convenient for brushes. The Photomerge feature is terribly fickle too.

It's also a pretty good Mac OS X citizen. It performs well, and at least has a Dock progress indicator (though it can be tough to see because it's so skinny). Feels like an OS 9/Windows app more than an OS X app, but that's just me being a nit-pick.

For 1/6 the price of Photoshop, you get about 80-85% of the functionality. They just left out the mission-critical stuff for professional print use.

[ 11-24-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    looks like i can get it for $70 after rebates on amazon. not bad. i wish i didn't have a conscience, then i could use a free pirated copy of photoshop or elements. heh.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I tried the demo out for a day and found out it is missing a couple important text editing features such as line and letter spacing.

...also the layer effects is not that good.

Overall though, compared to the price of photoshop it is a very good deal
  • Reply 4 of 4
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Well, I put in an order for it today at the bookstore. Looks like after the .edu discount, it is only $49

Not bad!