Meizu iPhone copy

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Meizu miniOne

Its essentially Windows Mobile with a UI skin that looks like the iPhone.

It will have a 3MP camera, 4GB/8GB internal flash memory, both GSM and Chinese TD-SCDMA 3G radio, 3.3-inch 720×480 pixel display, Bluetooth, and an ARM11 CPU capable of recording video at 30fps at full 720 x 480 resolution. With a camera the 4GB model will cost $310 and the 8GB model will cost $400. Without camera 4GB is $195 and 8GB will be $285.

It will not have multi-touch so its very doubtful the miniOne will operate the same way the iPhone does. It uses Windows Mobile so its not likely the apps will be as sophisticated and capable as the iPhone using OS X.

But this does show that its likely to match some of the iPhones basic functionality at a lower price. Even if its difficult to match the iPhone in all of its advanced core functionality. There is some degree to being close enough to eat into potential iPhone sales.

Apple will probably sue to prevent this phone from coming to market. But this illustrates that the rest of the phone industry is going to be competitive against the iPhone. Apple must use any advantage to set the bar far above what anyone else can accomplish.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Meizu miniOne

Its essentially Windows Mobile with a UI skin that looks like the iPhone.

It will have a 3MP camera, 4GB/8GB internal flash memory, both GSM and Chinese TD-SCDMA 3G radio, 3.3-inch 720×480 pixel display, Bluetooth, and an ARM11 CPU capable of recording video at 30fps at full 720 x 480 resolution. With a camera the 4GB model will cost $310 and the 8GB model will cost $400. Without camera 4GB is $195 and 8GB will be $285.

It will not have multi-touch so its very doubtful the miniOne will operate the same way the iPhone does. It uses Windows Mobile so its not likely the apps will be as sophisticated and capable as the iPhone using OS X.

But this does show that its likely to match some of the iPhones basic functionality at a lower price. Even if its difficult to match the iPhone in all of its advanced core functionality. There is some degree to being close enough to eat into potential iPhone sales.

Apple will probably sue to prevent this phone from coming to market. But this illustrates that the rest of the phone industry is going to be competitive against the iPhone. Apple must use any advantage to set the bar far above what anyone else can accomplish.

I saw this also but I really question these specifications (let alone the price). I just don't know what's really available.

1) Those figures work out to a 280 dpi screen. Do these exisit????

2) Is it really realistic to record video at that resolution and frame rate with this tiny battery?

3) prices will always be subject to change. We'll see on those.

4) Why would removing a 3MP camera module effect the price by $125??? you can by the whole camera for that.

How likely is this to be real?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Honestly I'm not that familiar with Meizu or how reputable they are. They seem to primarily be a Chinese company that clones successful electronics. There is a good chance this phone will never actually come to market.

If I were Apple I would not be concerned about Meizu as much as I would be concerned about everyone else. The larger mobile gadget makers are more willing to toss out a wild variety of models until something works.

If I were the larger mobile gadget makers I would replicate as much of the iPhone's cool factor as possible and offer it at a lower price.

Building a touchable flash UI over Symbian and Windows Mobile. Develop apps with improved features and graphics. These phones won't have mult-touch or desktop level api's but they only have to be good enough at the right price.

Offering higher megapixel cameras. As misinformed as it is people seem to stubbornly believe in megapixels so use that to your advantage. Matching 4GB and 8GB of internal storage is easy enough with the addition of HDSC card slot any device could easily have the potential of more storage than the iPhone. Sell this type of phone for around $200 to $400. They would not have to match the iPhone feature for feature only offer enough features at the right price to hamper the iPhone gaining much marketshare.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    o_rlyo_rly Posts: 27member
    I wouldn't buy one, but there are two things I like better about this phone. The first is that the chrome frame on the front is a nice even bevel. The iPhone's slopes in a weird way. For some reason it really bugs me. I also prefer that this is white... or has limited the amount of black in it. I just like the white Apple hardware.

just my $.02