Mbp + 10.5 = 4gb Ram?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Since OS 10.5 is 64bit, shouldn't a MBP with Leopard installed support 4GB of RAM, or are there hardware problems with the extra ram as well?

And assuming that the only thing keeping someone from using 4GB was then hardware, how likely would it be for Apple to slip in the neccisary changes?

I am going to buy a MBP soon, and I was wondering if I now have another reason to wait for Leopard...

And also, did I get this in the right category, or would it fit better under hardware?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    The Intel chipset that come with the core2duos can only use a little over 3 gb of RAM. There are some companies that will only charge you for 3gb of RAM as maximum, like Apple (and Sony), but the majority make you pay for that extra gig of RAM.

Now that we've established this fact, I think it would be unlikely for Apple to change to 4gb UNLESS they change to a new chipset.

As an example of the hardware problem, the Mac Pros can use up to 16 gb of RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tankgunktankgunk Posts: 43member
    That leaves me slightly confused, but I do sense that there are hardware limitations, and I don't believe that's the end of the end of the world.

Also, I fail to see how the problem you "identified" would apply to a MacBook Pro, but not SEVERAL of the Windows labtops out there that support 4GB, providing you aren't running a 32 bit version of Windows.

I am going to be satisfied with 2GB of RAM for a very very long time, and I'll still have the ability to throw in at least a little more, probably when I get used to the faster speed, and the RAM is MUCH cheaper.

I can't wait till this summer! I decided to buy my MBP then because 10.5 will come with it for "free", and as I am a student, I have the most money to spend on stuff like this in the summer, because I don't work much during school.

Another issue I ran into is that a teacher that said he MIGHT be able to give me an old Mac in August (just after I finalized plans to get my own, curse him!), but no specifics, probably because it was during a class, and the other students in the room would probably not take that too well. I think I'm going to give whatever it is to my parents, because their computer is getting a little old (well...maybe really really old). And as an added bonus, they will probably FORCE me to accept some amount of money towards mine. I love my parents, first of all because they have never divorced (all to common, lots of messed up kids because of it too), and you about can't give them somthing for free. I will undoubtedly inherit their current computer, which will make a really fine webserver once I get Windows off and Linux on.

I keep looking for the catch....oh wait. They already told me. They want me to become head of Microsoft and/or rich so I can pay for their retirement.

I hope the guy doesn't change his mind when I walk into the room with my MBP and ask about a free computer.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    tankgunktankgunk Posts: 43member
    I think I have it sorted out.

The processor is 64bit, but memory adressing is 32bit, so the system is limited to around 3 GB of RAM...

So really what could happen is a logic board update along with Leopard...I hope. I would love to be able to put 4GB of RAM in my future MBP after a few years of good use.

They went from 2GB to three, why not 3GB to 4GB...or maybe we will just get straight 64 bit memory adressing, letting us have as much memory as the chips/pocketbook can provide...

Please, PLEASE Apple, I beg you!

*Jobb's Maniacal Laugh*
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tankgunk View Post

I think I have it sorted out.

The processor is 64bit, but memory adressing is 32bit, so the system is limited to around 3 GB of RAM...

So really what could happen is a logic board update along with Leopard...I hope. I would love to be able to put 4GB of RAM in my future MBP after a few years of good use.

They went from 2GB to three, why not 3GB to 4GB...or maybe we will just get straight 64 bit memory adressing, letting us have as much memory as the chips/pocketbook can provide...

Please, PLEASE Apple, I beg you!

*Jobb's Maniacal Laugh*

No, the memory addressing is more than 32-bit. The issue is that the Core 2 Duo chipset wants to use some addresses for hardware, which disrupts the linear address space. This won't be true in Santa Rosa.

Even though an OS allows 64-bit pointers, you wouldn't see hardware with 64 actual address lines. That's more bytes than the number of molecules in the universe.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHope theWorld View Post

Do people actually need that much Ram?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHope theWorld

Do people actually need that much Ram?

Apparently...

Probably for REALLY intensive work