New Mac Pro due date?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been waiting to upgrade my quad 2.5 G5 to a new machine, mainly for need of a high end graphics card. Rumors had it there would be a new Mac Pro soon, but all seems to have gone quiet on that front.

I very badly need the upgrade (to make Aperture run faster) but do NOT want to drop $10k on a top of the line machine and have it be replaced in another month. My plan is to run two 30" ACD's from the machine, and potentially to run it from a 15k rpm drive or drives, backed up and cataloged via an Xserve RAID on a fibre channel card.

My current machine would need new hard drives, a new GPU, and a fibre channel card to accomplish this, so I'd rather just buy a whole new machine.

Any new news on the due date of the next Mac Pro (octo processor)?

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I'm waiting too, but I don't think we'll see any new hardware untill after Leopard is announced. I think we'll see the new hardware at WWDC.

I hope I'm wrong, at the end of last year I thought that we would have Leopard in March/April and expected the new hardware about then too, but it doesn't look things are even close at the moment. Like I said, I really hope I'm wrong. On the plus side, it gives us more time to save up for more memory!

• Reply 2 of 62
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear Sarge & Friends

Apple's hosting a special event on Sunday, April 15, at the beginning of the National Association of Broadcasters tradeshow and convention.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet my money that new Mac Pros will be introduced then.

That's what I'm waiting for, too, and I'm also hoping for updated displays.

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 3 of 62
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple needs to start updating their highest end pro machine more than once a year. It's ridiculous to wait that long for new hardware.

I think there is a big possibility at NAB, but don't put all your eggs in one basket.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Apple needs to start updating their highest end pro machine more than once a year. It's ridiculous to wait that long for new hardware.

I think there is a big possibility at NAB, but don't put all your eggs in one basket.

even more so with x86 hardware but now they have waited so long to put quad-cores in they may as well wait for intel next workstation chip set. With more pci-e lanes and maybe ddr 2 ecc ram.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I don't think the Mac Pro update is going to be soon. They are still shipping 1-3 days at the Apple Store. Traditionally, longer lead times indicate pending updates.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    NAB is a prime target this year. If Apple really does go into ultra-high definition video editing (2K, 4K) video at the expo, eight-core Mac Pros could be genuinely useful.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Apple is expecting Mac Pro sales to pick up once Adobe CS3 is ready to roll which could be near the end of this month. New MPs don't have to wait for Leopard and can ship with 10.4.9. It seems like it'd be good from a marketing POV that new MPs should be available either later this month or mid-April. The new stuff at NAB would be most happy living on these new MPs.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Good point. They may announce and have demo machines at NAB, and ship a month after.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    I think we'll see new MacPro's sooner than the NAB announcement and maybe in the coming weeks! Apple doesn't usually wait too long after new technology to introduce an upgrade. Case in point: MBP C2D. This was about 60 days after it was shipping and it's been about that since the Quad Core Xeon was announced. Otherwise we could be in for a long wait as Intel doesn't have it's next gen chip until 2nd half of '07!
  • Reply 10 of 62
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I take back what I said about Adobe CS3. It'll be shown on March 27 but won't ship until later in the spring. That could be anytime in April, May, all the way up 'til June 21. The same is true for Leopard.

I think the new MP will be shown at NAB but won't ship right away but who knows, it could be anytime.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I take back what I said about Adobe CS3. It'll be shown on March 27 but won't ship until later in the spring. That could be anytime in April, May, all the way up 'til June 21. The same is true for Leopard.

I think the new MP will be shown at NAB but won't ship right away but who knows, it could be anytime.

They could show off the mac pro running on intel new exon chipset with more pci-e lanes and cross fire / sli support they say if coming out later in the spring. as that chip set is not out yet.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SMacSteve View Post

I think we'll see new MacPro's sooner than the NAB announcement and maybe in the coming weeks!

The NAB expo is only five weeks away.

Quote:

Apple doesn't usually wait too long after new technology to introduce an upgrade. Case in point: MBP C2D. This was about 60 days after it was shipping and it's been about that since the Quad Core Xeon was announced. Otherwise we could be in for a long wait as Intel doesn't have it's next gen chip until 2nd half of '07!

The cycle time was 6 months from CD 17" to C2D 17", 8 months from CD 15" to C2D 15". Apple has waited 9+ months between updates on their towers, I think 9 months or longer was the average for the G5 series.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sarge_ View Post

I've been waiting to upgrade my quad 2.5 G5 to a new machine, mainly for need of a high end graphics card.

If the graphics is your reason, doesn't ATI still offer their PCIe x1900 series card for the quad/dual core G5s? Or are you hoping for the 8800 or x2900?
  • Reply 14 of 62
    xwinxxwinx Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

even more so with x86 hardware but now they have waited so long to put quad-cores in they may as well wait for intel next workstation chip set. With more pci-e lanes and maybe ddr 2 ecc ram.

I can only hope this is not true. Updated MacPro's are needed, yesterday.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    While I admit I don't always believe what I read in the Inquirer, they do tend to get some good info on chips. Here is their latest.

Basically, it says new xeons are going to be announced on Monday (March 12th for those keeping score at home). They will be 50 W chips and have 1066 buses with cache sizes ranging from 2-to-8 MB and GHz ranges from 1.86 to 2.66.

While the clock speeds aren't anything to get excited about, the 1066 FSB and 50W power draw are nice. I wonder if we'll see these in Mac Pros in a month or two???
  • Reply 16 of 62
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

While I admit I don't always believe what I read in the Inquirer, they do tend to get some good info on chips. Here is their latest.

Basically, it says new xeons are going to be announced on Monday (March 12th for those keeping score at home). They will be 50 W chips and have 1066 buses with cache sizes ranging from 2-to-8 MB and GHz ranges from 1.86 to 2.66.

While the clock speeds aren't anything to get excited about, the 1066 FSB and 50W power draw are nice. I wonder if we'll see these in Mac Pros in a month or two???

I don't see these going in Mac Pros. They are more power efficient so perhaps x serves could use them. Why would the Masc Pros use something with lower performance than what they currently have? Am I mising something?
  • Reply 17 of 62
    I was primarily looking that FSB speed which is 1.5x what the current MP's have (1066 vs 667 if I remember correctly).

If not these, then what? We all want a refresh on the Mac Pro, but what MB and what CPUs? The 4-cores can be a straight drop-in to the existing MB with it's FSB. I for one would like a faster FSB.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I was primarily looking that FSB speed which is 1.5x what the current MP's have (1066 vs 667 if I remember correctly).

If not these, then what? We all want a refresh on the Mac Pro, but what MB and what CPUs? The 4-cores can be a straight drop-in to the existing MB with it's FSB. I for one would like a faster FSB.

Current Xenons (woodcrest) have a 1330 mhz fsb. The 667 mhz fsb is on the merom chips in the macbooks, mbps, and imacs.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Current Xenons (woodcrest) have a 1330 mhz fsb. The 667 mhz fsb is on the merom chips in the macbooks, mbps, and imacs.

Xeons. But not all Xeons are Woodcrest. Like this one, which is a Conroe with an LGA 775 socket and a 1066 MHz FSB. They are identical to the Core 2 Duo desktop parts but from a higher bin, thus the slightly higher price. I always thought Apple might use these for a smaller, single socket Mac Pro.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Strange when I asked at the Apple store, the guy said they were the 667 MHz xeons not the 1333 ones.

Anyway to check this out? Specs page that I found didn't have anything about the MB architecture on it.