Burning data files onto a DVD-R on a Mac OS X.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm new to Macs so I can't say I know much about it.

I wanted to burn the DVD-R not into a DVD(using the iDVD), but just as a data disk. You know...putting the DVD-R inside the computer right away, opening the window, dragging in the files, and then burning it so that I can use the DVD-R as a data disk.

When I worked on my school computer, it worked fine. It did automatically open up a program called BurnX Free, but it worked very well.

But when I tried to use my MacBook Pro at home, it didn't work. BurnX Free didn't pop up obviously, but I thought 'well that's still ok, I'll just open up the empty DVD-R, and do it just like I'd do with CD-Rs!.' Apparently, it didn't work that well. I dragged the files in, and then clicked the "Burn" button on the top right hand corner of the window.

But the small window that popped up with "Processing files..." etc stayed like it forever. I thought I'd give it some time, and waited over 40 minutes, but it stayed as "Processing files" with the blue procedure-indication bar continuously moving.

So, how do I burn DVD-Rs into a data disk through macs? And if I actually need a software, which one is the best? Roxio Popcorn 2? BurnX Free? or anything else like...Nero? I've tried to search online for these answers only to get more confused. So I'm turning to you guys...

*p.s.: I'd greatly appreciate if anybody told me how to do the same on PCs if you happen to know...

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    You need no third-party software, free or paid, to burn data to a DVD-R. It is all handled by the Finder:

Insert the blank DVD-R into your optical drive.

Watch for the disk's icon to appear on the Desktop.

Drag the files that you want to burn onto the icon.

Drag the icon toward the Trash. (The Trash icon changes a burn icon.)
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jinixjinix Posts: 33member
    thanks. I burned one DVD-R the way you told me to do it.

But I'm facing one more problem. After I was done with the DVD-R burn, I decided to burn 3 movies in a DVD-R. I made it so that the full capacity is over 4GB. So I knew that it would take some time. But not like this.

"State: Preparing Data" popped up i put the DVD-R in the beginning, and it's been an hour since then. And it still isn't about to change even after an hour. I think it's getting way too long.

Do you know why that's the case?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    To burn a DVD which is playable by a standard DVD player, you need to use iDVD or a more sophisticated DVD creation app. It is my understanding that DivX-compatible players can handle data DVDs with DivX files burned on them. In addition to iDVD and the Finder, Disk Utilities will also burn DVDs. However, you have given not a hint as to how you are burning your media DVD or which format you are using. To get help, you need to share this basic information.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

To burn a DVD which is playable by a standard DVD player, you need to use iDVD or a more sophisticated DVD creation app. It is my understanding that DivX-compatible players can handle data DVDs with DivX files burned on them. In addition to iDVD and the Finder, Disk Utilities will also burn DVDs. However, you have given not a hint as to how you are burning your media DVD or which format you are using. To get help, you need to share this basic information.

I got the problem solved. I had an external hard drive plugged onto the computer, and tried to burn 3 movie files onto the DVD-R. It just didn't work.

But when I moved the files onto my computer(17-inch MBP), and then tried to burn it, it worked fine.

I just don't understand why it won't burn straight off the external hard drive as the school's BurnX Free had no problem doing it.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

You don't happen to know the PC(Windows XP) way of doing it, do you? or is it pretty much the same?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinix View Post

I got the problem solved. I had an external hard drive plugged onto the computer, and tried to burn 3 movie files onto the DVD-R. It just didn't work.

But when I moved the files onto my computer(17-inch MBP), and then tried to burn it, it worked fine.

I just don't understand why it won't burn straight off the external hard drive as the school's BurnX Free had no problem doing it.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

You don't happen to know the PC(Windows XP) way of doing it, do you? or is it pretty much the same?

I'm not sure on how to burn movies on to a DVD-R, but for just data files, copy the files into the DVD-R explorer window and there will be a button on the left pane that says "burn to files to disc".
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

I'm not sure on how to burn movies on to a DVD-R, but for just data files, copy the files into the DVD-R explorer window and there will be a button on the left pane that says "burn to files to disc".

thanks. You're talking about the PC way right?

Now my only trivial problem is that I can't seem to burn a data DVD disc straight from an external hard drive. I always have to drag and copy the file onto my laptop. Then it works fine. But until then, it just won't do it straight off an external hard drive. At first I thought it was the NTFS problem. But my FAT32 formatted external hard drive has the same problem. It works fine at the school computers.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Do you have enough space on your computer. Not sure about Tiger, but earlier versions of OS X needed more than double the about of space on the drive. Also, have you tried using a different brand of DVD-R?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Do you have enough space on your computer. Not sure about Tiger, but earlier versions of OS X needed more than double the about of space on the drive. Also, have you tried using a different brand of DVD-R?

My MBP is only about 4~5 months old. So I don't think it should apply to my computer.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    My MacBooks' 120gb hard drive was full in 3 weeks. \