U.S. DOT considers switch to Mac, Linux

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
From http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/03/...switch.to.mac/

U.S. DOT considers switch to Mac, Linux

"The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has banned Windows Vista, Office 2007, and Internet Explorer 2007 from its offices, and is considering switching its operations to Macs and PCs running Novell's SuSe Linux. The DOT enacted the ban in mid-January, according to one blogger, because certain applications essential to the agency's function can't run on Windows Vista. Microsoft has attracted intense criticism over its new operating system since it began shipping earlier this year, lacking proper driver software for a wide array of devices and utilizing a new user interface that closely resembles Apple's Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger system. Apple is also taking aim at the enterprise market with its upcoming Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard release, which incorporates numerous features that cater to large business needs."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I don't know how well this will work. NIST wanted to install Red Hat because, well, it's NIST, but lawyers at the Department of Commerce blocked the deal, because of security issues. As I understand it, Red Hat required them to publish any components and drivers that could be added, and some of those were encryption and other confidential materials. I'll have to check on what the issue was specifically. Hopefully the terms of service are better this time around.

But this would be a good time for a mid range tower.