Overlooked Outlook for MacOS X news

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.macwindows.com/newsarch.html#0902"; target="_blank">Microsoft working on new Exchange client, other OS X projects</a>. September 6, 2002 -- Updated Sept. 10 -- Microsoft is in the early stages of developing a new version a Mac client for Exchange Server, though it has told us that it is not committing to an OS X version or the "Outlook" name at this point. Based on information from a Microsoft, official, we originally reported that a company official told MacWindows that the Microsoft Macintosh Business Unit (MBU) is developing the Outlook X. However, Microsoft has since told us that we were incorrect and that it isn't releasing further information.

Previous versions of Outlook were created by the company's Exchange team. MBU, the group that created Office X and other OS X products, has now taken over the project. Microsoft would not speculate on a release date.

Microsoft's MBU group is also working on several other Mac projects, including the next revision to Office X, a new version of Internet Explorer, and MSN for Mac OS X (which we reported last month). MBU Marketing Director Tim McDonough said "Cross-platform compatibility is critical. We want people to access MSN from both Windows and Mac OS X using the same tools."

MSN for OS X is already a reality. And I went on to the Microsoft newsgroup forums and someone had claimed they had info that a beta of an <a href="http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&amp;hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;[email protected] oogle.com&prev=/groups%3Fgroup%3Dmicrosoft.public.outlook.mac" target="_blank">Outlook client for X</a>.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    This generally sounds like Very Good News?. Having exchange integration would be a huge boon to Macs in the office place. Though out of the corner of my mind, I wonder if something else is lined up in Ms's specific plans to keep them as second-class citizens on Windows networks. Sorry to be a downer -- this would really be great news!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    uh, yeah, Good News? indeed.

(double post)

[ 11-29-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    yes, I NEED, not want, but NEED Outlook Exchange for OS X. We're already converting people over to OS X, and Outlook is the only Classic program we'll have running... yeah, we even flushed Quark. I've been imaging these wonderful Dual 867 towers, and the only reason Classic will ever be used on them is for Outlook.

Damn Microsoft and their proprietary software.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    How proprietary is it though? Isn't Exchange based on MAPI protocol, and isn't that pretty open? But I can't even find a 3rd party MAPI email client.