slow VNC connection

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hi

i am trying to connect remotely to my dad's mac for the first time. he has installed vine server, and i have tried connecting wiht both vine viewer and chicken of the vnc. with both programs the connection is slow, even though we are both connected to the internet with high speed broadband, and physically, rather than wirelessly, connected to our routers. both of us are forwarding ports 5900-5902 (TCP).

when i say slow connection, i mean that it takes a while for his screen to load, and then my mouse clicks are very unresponsive, typically taking 10-20 secs to respond. i am used to using Windows XP to remotely connect computers and had much better responsiveness with a slower internet connection, so i am not sure why i am having this difficulty with the macs. we are both using intel dual-core macs.

can anyone suggest ways in which i can improve the repsonsiveness?

thanks

nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nick_harambee View Post

can anyone suggest ways in which i can improve the repsonsiveness?

One way is to not use a 3rd party VNC server and instead turn on Apple's remote desktop software in the system prefs > sharing. I found this to send out the signal much faster than any of the 3rd party software I tried.

However, even at that I tested VNC with two Macs connect direct over 100MBps ethernet and it still lagged enough to be unusable. It helps to put the server at a low resolution and lower bit depth but it's not always feasible to do this. Turn on high compression too because the computers will be fast enough decompress them.