Mac OS X Dictionary & Internationalisation

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Since Apple hasn't supported anything but US English since OS 9, I'm wondering whether anyone knows if it's possible to replace the dictionary with a custom one. It really frustrates me that Mail and Text Edit keep informing me that I've spelled words incorrectly when I haven't. Sure I can "learn" the correct spellings, but there is no way that I'm aware of to "unlearn" the incorrect American spellings. It'd be great too if Apple improved its Internationalisation options for system menus as well, but I'm pessimistic this will happen.

I have an Australian word list, but I think the Apple dictionary is encrypted and I can't just rename my word list to be the same as the pre-installed version. Also, does the Tiger Dictionary app use the same dictionary file for meanings as for spell-checking? I don't want to break the definitions in Dictionary.app

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Since Apple hasn't supported anything but US English since OS 9, I'm wondering whether anyone knows if it's possible to replace the dictionary with a custom one. It really frustrates me that Mail and Text Edit keep informing me that I've spelled words incorrectly when I haven't. Sure I can "learn" the correct spellings, but there is no way that I'm aware of to "unlearn" the incorrect American spellings. It'd be great too if Apple improved its Internationalisation options for system menus as well, but I'm pessimistic this will happen.

I have an Australian word list, but I think the Apple dictionary is encrypted and I can't just rename my word list to be the same as the pre-installed version. Also, does the Tiger Dictionary app use the same dictionary file for meanings as for spell-checking? I don't want to break the definitions in Dictionary.app

The two dictionaries are separate. What sort of words are causing you problems? I don?t have problems with British English. If you are having problems, try going into System Preferences > International and make sure you?re on the Language tab. Press ?Edit List?? and scroll down to Australian English and tick the box. Press OK, and drag Australian English to the top of the list. This may work for some apps, apparently it works for British English.

If not, just use British English. I think our way of spelling is much more aligned to yours than dumb non-conformist American English (I?m gonna get flamed!).

And, unfortunately, I don?t think it?s possible to replace the Dictionary application?s database, as here in the UK we don?t have the Oxford English Dictionary (as is default here), but the New Oxford American Dictionary. Even foreign language versions of OS X use the NAOD, how dumb is that?

Apple: Please fix this in Leopard, I really need a Spotlight capable French dictionary for my homework! Plus I?m sure the entire Francophonie isn?t to happy about it either.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Ahh!!! I didn't see that! Thanks that seems to have solved my problem! Thanks a lot (and sorry to Apple for my mistake). I just thought when I put everything else Australian it would have changed the default language dictionary too.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Apple: Please fix this in Leopard, I really need a Spotlight capable French dictionary for my homework! Plus I?m sure the entire Francophonie isn?t to happy about it either.

That would be amazing. I'm tired of looking up stuff by hand.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Tiger's Dictionary is extensible. No information has been published for the indexing format, however, which would be mandatory.

I've been looking into this for a few months now, with little feedback from Apple. We can only hope the situation will improve in Tiger.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Tiger's Dictionary is extensible. No information has been published for the indexing format, however, which would be mandatory.

I've been looking into this for a few months now, with little feedback from Apple. We can only hope the situation will improve in Tiger.

LOL. I hope you mean Leopard.