Up-converting DVD players?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The HD/BluRay thread has me wondering more and more about upconverting DVD players. Anyone here have one they love or hate? Also, I don't know if it exists, but I'd like one with VGA output.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I have the Denon 1930CI, and it is amazing. Oppo players get very high ratings as well. AFAIK the only up-converting DVD player with a VGA output is the Xbox 360.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Does the XBox 360 even upconvert?

I have a Sony DVP-NS75H (CNET's review) connected via HDMI to my 30" Toshiba tube HDTV. That little player puts out an amazing picture quality for that screen! Animated features look especially good (Over the Hedge and Cars are both incredible on it). I'd say look at it for a good price/performance balance.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    There seems to be mixed feeling on this. However for an upconverting DVD to work you need a HDMI connection on your TV.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I was afraid of that. I was hoping to find one that I could use with my projector. Since it's not a "home theater" projector, the only input it has that goes above standard def is a VGA input. Thanks for the pointers.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Theoretically you could convert HDMI to DVI to VGA.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

There seems to be mixed feeling on this. However for an upconverting DVD to work you need a HDMI connection on your TV.

The feelings are mixed but the facts aren't, there is just some confusion and misunderstanding on what the facts are. For it to work legally, the DVD spec demands that self-contained upscaling DVD players only use HDMI to output the the upscaled video. Computers are not expected to do this for some reason that I forget, you can use a computer to output analog RGB and unencrypted digital (DVI). There is no technical reason that HD component (the three RCA connector) video couldn't be used, it's just a demand placed on manufacturers to not allow it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    My feeling is you start of with a decent but not overpriced progressive scan DVD that outputs HDMI to your HDTV. Then let the HDTV engine do most of the upconverting work. Rather than put the burden on the DVD player, the HDTV should be able to sensibly upconvert DVD and SDTV signals. Ideally HDMI output from the DVD player, and at least component output from your SDTV/HDTV sattelite/ cable/ digitalterrestial signal receiver|decoder. IMHO this is where Plasma is better, because it is smoother, richer blacks, and not harsh-pixelated upconverting like on LCD HDTVs. ...My 2 cents.