Ipod Nano wont show up! Guts are a 4gb???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have on Ipod nano that i thought i could fix with Itunes 7. It is flashing the folder with the exclamation mark when powered on. No matter what i do, i cant get it to show in iTunes or My Computer. Im running current windos xp, itunes 7.1, my usb ports are fine, it just says OK to DISCONNECT when i connect it after briefly saying DO NOT DISCONNECT. I get all types of strange battery icons when i repeatedly reconnect it to the USB. I cannot restore it unless I get it to come up in iTunes! I dont think the battery is much good... ill try a replacement. Ive reset it a thousand times, but when i try to power on (if it does at all) i get the excalmation icon/folder picture then it shuts off. I think it is a 4GB nano, the ram is stacked on a separate removeable circuit board that has a plug connection to the motherboard, it is removable without solder. The only thing i can think of is that A)the battery is completely toast and the computer wont charge or recognize it or b) its got MAC software installed or c) Its fried. I can go into disk mode too. Might it be fried? HELP!!!!!

PS it is a first gen ipod nano

~J~

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drummerboy View Post

I got a busted Ipod nano that i thought i could fix with Itunes 7. No matter what i do, i cant get it to show in iTunes or My Computer.

So let me get this straight: You have a broken iPod and you can't figure out why it doesn't work right?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benzene View Post

So let me get this straight: You have a broken iPod and you can't figure out why it doesn't work right?

Now what was the point of that.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benzene View Post

no brainies here to help me? or am i in the wrong place...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    "I think it is a 4GB nano, the ram is stacked on a separate removeable circuit board that has a plug connection to the motherboard, it is removable without solder."

It's WHAT?

Was this thing fenced or something? You THINK it's a 4GB? It MAY be Mac-formatted?

If this is some sort of unholy zombie iPod somebody put together, then I can think of about two hundred reasons why it wouldn't work. Seriously, if you're looking at this thing open and without the back to tell you which model it is, how are we supposed to troubleshoot your problem?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

If this is some sort of unholy zombie iPod somebody put together, then I can think of about two hundred reasons why it wouldn't work. Seriously, if you're looking at this thing open and without the back to tell you which model it is, how are we supposed to troubleshoot your problem?

That was the basis of my incredulity. It sounds like this thing is DOA due to some hardware problem. No amount of software bitfiddling is going to fix that.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

"I think it is a 4GB nano, the ram is stacked on a separate removeable circuit board that has a plug connection to the motherboard, it is removable without solder."

It's WHAT?

Was this thing fenced or something? You THINK it's a 4GB? It MAY be Mac-formatted?

as it turns out, certain generation Ipods did have a daughterboard with the RAM on it. It IS a 4gb, i just thought the daughtboard strange. I got it used, so i didnt know which format the thing had on it. (dont know what you didnt get about that) Turns out it doesnt matter. The batter was fine. I have a bad circuit on the motherboard, but no thanks to the any input here. It was a noob question cause im NEW at fixing ipods. jeeze you geeks
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Right, silly us - we should be able to diagnose hardware problems based on descriptions that don't even include the iPod model. Piece of cake.