flipping monitor image

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I read a previous post on this subject, where someone wanted to flip their monitor so that they could put their iMac in their van (upside down) and have the kids watch DVD's. The problem was solved by changing options in VLC's preferences. I am wanting to do the same thing with my MacBook Pro. (Turn it into a giant flip down monitor in my van) This would keep it out of the way, then flip down the screen for viewing. - How does one flip/rotate the image 180 degrees? (I know for PC's its ctrl+alt+arrow key).

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Go into system prefs > displays. There should be a rotate menu. I don't know of a hotkey to do it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    My display menu (in sys. pref.) does not have a rotatable menu - perhaps there is some software someone knows of....c'mon genius's, I am pretty novice when it comes to Mac's, but will be able to do what someone tells me...if they can help.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brawnicus View Post

My display menu (in sys. pref.) does not have a rotatable menu - perhaps there is some software someone knows of

Try holding option when clicking the display system pref. Quit system preferences first.

There's also this software:

http://www.osxbook.com/software/sms/smsrotated/

There is a piece of software called ATI displays that lets you do screen rotation but I don't think it's been updated for Intel machines.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [LEFT]I haven't been able to find the full trick for free Online anywhere, only an incomplete Preview at this website [ http://safari.peachpit.com/0321290542/ch07lev1sec17 ]. You'll need to subscribe to that website or purchase the book Mac OS X Tiger Killer Tips to learn how to perform the trick.

If you're using an intel-based Mac, the trick might not work. You can email the author at this address [ [email protected] ] and ask if the trick works for intel-based Mac's.

[/LEFT]
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Umm, just one question: How do you propose to put a DVD into it when it is upside down? The tray is also upside down and there is no way I can think of to get a disk into it that way.

Unless you plan to load all videos onto the hard drive first?

Just curious what you are thinking here.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Umm, just one question: How do you propose to put a DVD into it when it is upside down? The tray is also upside down and there is no way I can think of to get a disk into it that way.

Unless you plan to load all videos onto the hard drive first?

Just curious what you are thinking here.

He's probably thinking that his laptop has a slot-loading drive.

Laptop trays usually have a little clip too so a lot of trays wouldn't have the issue of the DVD falling out either.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Yeah....Mac's have the best CD "trays"....they don't even have a tray - its like a car CD player - they just gooble the disc's up - like sucking up spaghetti (who said that?)