Adtron Solid State 160gig Flash disk

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Im surprised there is not a single thread on this...being big news an all

"PHOENIX, AZ - February 20, 2007 - Solid state flash disk manufacturer Adtron Corporation, announces today the immediate availability of its most advanced generation of the Adtron Flashpak® Family of products including the IDE and Serial ATA (SATA) flash disk models, the I25FB and A25FB, respectively. The products in this announcement include the industry's highest capacity 2.5" SLC NAND flash disk drives at 160 GBytes, only available from Adtron."

Full report

http://www.adtron.com/newsroom/25fb-...tate-Disk.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Here's a quote from Engadget on that thing:

Quote:

No exact word on price, but we hear you might be looking at somewhere in the range of $80-$115 per gigabyte. Yeah, we know. Aren't you sorry you asked?

So at an absolute minimum we're talking $10,000.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, but by midyear it will be down to $8,000, and that's when the party really begins!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I sure don't think this is in the cards for a few years, BUT I'm really getting to want some FLASH memory for apps on demand, like iCal, Widgets, etc. And with Steve putting "Notes" into Mail and iPhones and I think "Notes" will be integrated into all iApps, then it makes sense for those notes to be "always on." Otherwise what is the point of having notes if you need to keep opening the app each time.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    This will be great addition to the MacBook Pro in several years time, but by that point we'll all be wanting Terabytes of storage and 160 Gigs will just be too small!

• Reply 5 of 16
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

$80-$155/GB? These people are on crack. NAND is $6/GB and SanDisk will have a 32GB offering they say will only increase laptop prices by $600 to the end consumer.

Vinea
  • Reply 6 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

I doubt it. The prices for those components are based on what is shipping. The drive capacities are now large enough to replace internal hard drives and are much faster (more than double the transfer rate) so this should encourage large scale shipments. It's competition that drives prices down and competition increases with demand.

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd.html

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../09/2003351599

Somebody seems to think Apple are going to use flash drives soon. I have major doubts but Apple could delve into their large storage of cash. They could take a loss on initial shipments and then totally own the flash HDD market, which will be major business in the future.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Price is going to be the key. This is where users want to go. I'd pay a 20% premium for this technology but over that and I'd wait for it to come down in price.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

... They could take a loss on initial shipments and then totally own the flash HDD market, which will be major business in the future.

Solid state mass storage is the technology of the future and always will be.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

$80-$155/GB? These people are on crack. NAND is $6/GB and SanDisk will have a 32GB offering they say will only increase laptop prices by $600 to the end consumer.

Vinea

Unfortunately when you go up in flash storage you don't just add on $6 for each Gig, it just doesn't work like that.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Price is going to be the key. This is where users want to go. I'd pay a 20% premium for this technology but over that and I'd wait for it to come down in price.

Even at that I don't think th average consumer would pay the extra 20%.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

depends how the benifits are sold
  • Reply 12 of 16
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

depends how the benifits are sold

I'd have to agree. Fast boot up times, fast application load times, and fast loading of big files would sell it for me.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Well I would see solid state memory first appearing in the Macbook Pro line. These users are more willing to pay a premium. I agree that Macbook users probably won't want that additional cost thrust upon them.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Unfortunately when you go up in flash storage you don't just add on $6 for each Gig, it just doesn't work like that.

SanDisk, Toshiba and Samsung disagree. There is a desire among the top NAND producers to reach the tipping point where SSDs take significant share away from HDDs in the laptop market. Projections are for 2 x the cost of 1.8" HDD drives by this year.

$10K for 160GB isn't going to interest anyone except the very niche players in the server market.

Vinea
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

$10K for 160GB isn't going to interest anyone except the very niche players in the server market.

$10K for 160GB isn't going to interest anyone.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

$10K for 160GB isn't going to interest anyone.

I agree, servers (usually) need to run Terabites of storage. So not even people droping $50k+ on server hardware will be interested. Nobody in their right mind would spend $10k on 160 Gigs of solid state storage unless they were just showing off.