Eminent Domain

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
We are all aware of eminent domain as it exists in real estate. But the word domain got me to thinking... shouldn't their be eminent domain domain? That is to say... if someone isn't actively pursuing a web domain, someone with a valid use for the web domain should be able to get it without having to buy the domain at an outrageous cost.

It's sickening how domains are snarfed up by domain whores and just sit on the web getting crusty and old.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That's the free market at work. Anyone is free to think up or claim whatever names they want, and the domain names may end up worthless, or not, someday. It's a bit like betting on futures in the stock market. I say it's fine the way it is.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Given the abuse of property eminent domain I'll toss my vote against a domain eminent domain.

I can't remember the last time I read about land being forcibly sold to build a road or a school, but my parents' neighbors and nearly my parents themselves came very close to being forcibly relocated to make way for a Wal Mart distribution center.

I can't imagine that a virtual eminent domain would be any less corrupt.