Sending a PowerBook to Apple - how do I wipe the HDD?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just need to wipe OS X clean off because they are sending us a refurbished model. Please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Are you trying to remove things for privacy reasons? I wouldn't worry about it personally as they'll wipe the drive when they get it, but if you don't want anything falling into the wrong hands, delete everything from your user folder, then securely empty trash (go to Finder, Finder menu, Secure Empty Trash).

Do you have any other specific concerns? If you keep sensitive data elsewhere, delete it from there as well.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    fletchfletch Posts: 74member
    It's actually belongs to someone where I work and they requested it be wiped due to confidentiality reasons....I read on another thread here that I can wipe it with the OS X recovery disc........?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Yes, boot it from the Install CD, choose your language, go to Utilities in the menu bar, go down to Disk Utility and reformat. Your level of security concern depends on how many zero outs you want to wait on. When it is done, shut it down. Reboot holding the mouse clicker down, that will force the CD to eject, you will be greeted by a Mac that won't finish booting because there isn't even a System folder, much less any data!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

It's actually belongs to someone where I work and they requested it be wiped due to confidentiality reasons....I read on another thread here that I can wipe it with the OS X recovery disc........?

Or just turn file vault on and send it to Apple...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    fletchfletch Posts: 74member
    What is file vault exactly? (I'm an apple newb)

EDIT - nevermind, I found it -

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/filevault/

That sounds fine and all, but I wouldn't want to take a chance that someone at Apple could crack it if they wanted to. I work for a IP law firm and this is a partner's laptop....
  • Reply 6 of 7
    hi_qhi_q Posts: 31member
    Being as I work in the refurb department - we have so many machines come through we dont even have time to look through people's computers. They are wiped first thing and the hard drive is tossed for scrap. Your data is in the safest hands and there are NO outside eyes that see one kb of information. We boot up on the NEtwork there, and wipe them without accessing the drive.

The other suggestions are good as well - But just so you know. :
  • Reply 7 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Irrespective of whether or not people will look at it, the fact remains that they still can and although the majority of people won't care what's on it, it's not worth the risk with important data.

What I would do is get an external drive, clone the data to it using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Boot up from the CD, open Disk Utility and do a 1 pass overwrite.

You can then install a clean OS X if you want.

When you get it back, just clone your stuff back on and everything is back to normal. No difficulty setting the machine up again.