Question regarding Apple TV (I couldn't find the answers in other threads)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Okay, so it has a USB 2 port... so in theory I can plug another hard drive into it... seeing as it has a built in 40 gig HD... but we all know that that isn't big enough, so I could plug a 250 gig Hard drive into it and the Apple TV could read movies off of it?

Do we know if this wil work?

Also... do you have to sync it to your iTunes...? Because I don't like to have movies in my iTunes on my MBP, would rather just transfer them to the Apple TV hard drive.

I think that is all I had to ask.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

Okay, so it has a USB 2 port... so in theory I can plug another hard drive into it... seeing as it has a built in 40 gig HD... but we all know that that isn't big enough, so I could plug a 250 gig Hard drive into it and the Apple TV could read movies off of it?

Do we know if this wil work?

Also... do you have to sync it to your iTunes...? Because I don't like to have movies in my iTunes on my MBP, would rather just transfer them to the Apple TV hard drive.

I think that is all I had to ask.

Thanks.

I believe that's an alternative way of networking, as opposed to Ethernet and WiFi. We'll have to play wait and see until someone tries it.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    Apple says that USB is only for when your Apple TV is being serviced, so it might not work. Then again sometimes I find if you stick something in in these cases you can get lucky, and it just works anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Hopefully they allow us to use the USB to transfer files. Otherwise I have to put a 3rd network card in my computer.