AirDisk warning

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just to let you guys know that if you save directly to an AirDisk (either connected via wireless or ethernet) there's every chance that when you go back to retrieve the file it will be damaged - which makes the whole principle of an AirDisk useless.

I've had it happen to me on three different computers now and each time the saved files are reported as being damaged when they are reopened. Strangely, if you save the file on to your desktop and then go back to the Finder and drag it manually to the AirDisk the file is fine.

I'm running 10.4.9 on a G5 tower, a G5 iMac and a 17" MBP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Just to let you guys know that if you save directly to an AirDisk (either connected via wireless or ethernet) there's every chance that when you go back to retrieve the file it will be damaged - which makes the whole principle of an AirDisk useless.

I've had it happen to me on three different computers now and each time the saved files are reported as being damaged when they are reopened. Strangely, if you save the file on to your desktop and then go back to the Finder and drag it manually to the AirDisk the file is fine.

I'm running 10.4.9 on a G5 tower, a G5 iMac and a 17" MBP.

Just wanted t say you shouldn't ever open documents over a network, Ever! and you are allways (never heard otherwise) suppose to copy the file locally and replace the document on the network. Why? Oh forget it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

Just wanted t say you shouldn't ever open documents over a network, Ever! and you are allways (never heard otherwise) suppose to copy the file locally and replace the document on the network. Why? Oh forget it.

I dunno, that seems like a weird thing to say. April Fool's is two weeks away.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Yes, there are situations where I'm sure that is still true, but you can't apply that thinking to every example. I can think of a couple of examples where the approach you suggest would be ideal, but I can also think of a couple of examples where your method should be avoided at all costs!

But back to AirDisk, AirDisk is advertised as being able to backup your Mac directly across the network. In fact, you are supposed to be able to backup multiple Macs to the same AirDisk.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

My business is built upon the very fact you say should never be done. Only 20 years later and not a single problem.

If you are being funny, than I apologize in advance.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

My business is built upon the very fact you say should never be done. Only 20 years later and not a single problem.

That's exactly why I thought the comment was a weird joke. Making local copies to work with and transferring them over the network is an unwieldy way to handle files. For all I know, I might have several hundred thousand files that I only access over the network, and I've never had a problem. I would have more problems managing files and maintaining coherency if I had to do the local->modify->network idea. Another reason why most businesses discourage having a local file is that the network storage is backed up, the local ones aren't always backed up because all the data should be on the network storage system.