Leopard on MacBook

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a 1 G MacBook (the one with a Core Duo processor), which does not have 64-bit capability. I'm wondering whether Leopard will be compatible with my MacBook because it's a 64-bit OS. It would be rather sad if it wouldn't considering i bought it at the end of september (a bit late..). I tried to look up the answer but i can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjorsvb View Post

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a 1 G MacBook (the one with a Core Duo processor), which does not have 64-bit capability. I'm wondering whether Leopard will be compatible with my MacBook because it's a 64-bit OS. It would be rather sad if it wouldn't considering i bought it at the end of september (a bit late..). I tried to look up the answer but i can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Well, don't worry... actually, none of the Intel machines ('cept Mac Pro) has 64 Bit capabilities, so it wouldn't make any sense for Apple to make Leopard 64 Bit only.

Moreover, Apple's own web site states that Leopard will maintain full 32 Bit compatibility:
    Quote:

Leopard takes 64-bit computing to the next level, while maintaining full performance and compatibility for your existing 32-bit applications and drivers.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/64bit.html

Regards,

durandal
  • Reply 2 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Just to clarify Leopard will work on any Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    isn't Merom C2D that's on iMac, MBP, and new MB supports 64-bit?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illutionz View Post

isn't Merom C2D that's on iMac, MBP, and new MB supports 64-bit?

That's part of my message, I thought (though not sure) that PowerPC's were 64-bit, and the Meroms too, so my MacBook would be one of the few without 64-bit capabilities.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjorsvb View Post

That's part of my message, I thought (though not sure) that PowerPC's were 64-bit, and the Meroms too, so my MacBook would be one of the few without 64-bit capabilities.

It's a non-issue, unless you and your friends compare who has "64 bit" stickers on your computers. Leopard will run great on your machine, at least as well if not better than Tiger. Why do you care?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    - Core 2 Duo is 64 bit (not Core Duo)

- g5's are 64 bit

- MacPro (not sure)
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Okay.

PowerPC G3 = 32-bit (Discontinued)

PowerPC G4 = 32-bit (Older PowerMacs, iMacs & Mac Mini, latest Powerbooks, and latest iBooks) (Discontinued)

PowerPC G5 = 64-bit (Latest PowerMac) (Discontinued)

Intel Core (1) (Solo & Duo) = 32-bit (Older iMac & Mac Mini, First Generation Macbook Pro, First Generation Macbook) (Discontinued)

Intel Core 2 (Solo & Duo) = 64-bit (Current iMac, Macbook Pro, Macbook, & Mac Mini)

Intel Xeon (all models) = 64-bit (Current MacPro)

As far as we know, the PowerPC G3 will be the only model not supported by Leopard. Though that is not yet confirmed, it seems very likely.

Yes, Leopard will make better use of 64-bit machines, but it will run perfectly fine on G4's and above. In fact, if Apple's tradition continues, your machine will run even faster than it did with Tiger.

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smashbrosfan View Post

Okay.

PowerPC G3 = 32-bit (Discontinued)

PowerPC G4 = 32-bit (Older PowerMacs, iMacs & Mac Mini, latest Powerbooks, and latest iBooks) (Discontinued)

PowerPC G5 = 64-bit (Latest PowerMac) (Discontinued)

Intel Core (1) (Solo & Duo) = 32-bit (Older iMac & Mac Mini, First Generation Macbook Pro, First Generation Macbook) (Discontinued)

Intel Core 2 (Solo & Duo) = 64-bit (Current iMac, Macbook Pro, Macbook, & Mac Mini)

Intel Xeon (all models) = 64-bit (Current MacPro)

As far as we know, the PowerPC G3 will be the only model not supported by Leopard. Though that is not yet confirmed, it seems very likely.

Yes, Leopard will make better use of 64-bit machines, but it will run perfectly fine on G4's and above. In fact, if Apple's tradition continues, your machine will run even faster than it did with Tiger.

Hope that helps.

The Mac Mini still uses the Intel Core Solo and Duo. Also, the iMac used a G5 for a year or so. Otherwise, excellent list.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

The Mac Mini still uses the Intel Core Solo and Duo. Also, the iMac used a G5 for a year or so. Otherwise, excellent list.

Wow... Thanks for the correction. I knew that too.. lol. Just got mixed up as I was doing all of that from memory. I HAD an iMac G5... lol
  • Reply 10 of 12
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Just to clarify Leopard will work on any Mac.

I hear that Leopard will drop support for G3 machines. Of course it does not matter for the OP.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I hear that Leopard will drop support for G3 machines. Of course it does not matter for the OP.

I heard that too, but he was asking about a MacBook and I just thought everyone was adding more fuel to the fire.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

I just want to correct this statement - the Mac Mini still uses Core Duo (instead of Core 2 Duo) but the Core Solo model is not in production anymore.