airport extreme disk

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently purchased on of the new airport extreme that can accept an external USB 2.0 drive. I set it up with a western digital 500GB book hard drive. THis is the external unit that has 2 firewire ports and a usb 2.0 port. Over the last couple weeks I have been sending my data to the drive over hte airport, but for somereason if I want to disconnect the drive from teh airport and lets say access it via firewire on the mac or usb on teh mac without having to go through the airport then I cannow see hte drive. If i go to the disk utility it shows the drive there but the drive itself will not show up on my desktop in os x.

Does anyone have any idea why this is. It was initially formated as hfs + journaled. Now if I look at the drive it also indicates something about apple map file or something like that.

Any ideas how I can access the drive without having to go through the airport. This would be convenient if I want to send some large files and save some time.

thanks

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Shouldn't be a problem.

You say it doesn't show up on the desk-top... Do OTHER hard drives show up on the desktop ?

Does it show up in a FINDER window ?

I ask, because perhaps you have Finder Preferences set to NOT show drives as icons on the desktop ? Just guessing, as you SHOULD be able to use it ithe way you want.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Shouldn't be a problem.

You say it doesn't show up on the desk-top... Do OTHER hard drives show up on the desktop ?

Does it show up in a FINDER window ?

I ask, because perhaps you have Finder Preferences set to NOT show drives as icons on the desktop ? Just guessing, as you SHOULD be able to use it ithe way you want.

Yes all the drives show up. When I first purchased the drive I did see it on the desktop because thats how i initially sent my itunes folder over to it. Now for whatever reason if I disconnect the drive from the airport and use the usb or firewire port and connect it to any of my macs they do not let me access the drive. In the disk utility I tried to repair the drive etc.. and it said that it could not unmount hte drive. But for whatever reason the drive is no where to be seen on any of the computer. If i jsut pull the firewire or usb cable out from the compute rhten i get the error that the disk was not ejected properly. This tells me the os is seeing the drive but may not know what to do with it.