Problems burning Windows compatible DVDs

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

About nine months ago I switched from Windows to Mac and I haven't had a single problem since, until now. I have some large media files on my Mac and I figured I could burn them to DVD to watch them on my friend's Windows computer, but when I click on the DVD icon, all I get is: "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows."

When I try the disk on my Mac, however, it works fine. All the files open and run without any problems. I get the same problem whether I use DVD-Rs or DVD-RWs. When I check what format the DVDs are, Finder says that they're Mac OS Extended, which I assume is the problem. However, before I burn them, it says that the DVDs will be compatible with both Mac and Windows machines. I have been burning the disks in finder, the normal way, and although I have poked around in the Disk Utility, I couldn't find a way to burn them with any other format.

I have googled the problem, and searched the forums here and other places to no avail. I've also looked at the help documentation on my Mac, and on Apple's website. I'm using Verbatim DVD-Rs and Fujifilm DVD-RWs. I have a 2GHz MacBook Core Duo with OS X 10.4.8. Any help would be welcome!

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    The best way I have found to burn windows compatible CD/DVD's is via Roxio Toast Titanium 8.0.1 it allows this and work well for bith CD's and DVD's single and DL.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Excellent; Thanks! I'll give that a try tonight. However, I was under the impression that OS X could burn Windows compatible disks on its own. Is this not the case?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davy sez View Post

Excellent; Thanks! I'll give that a try tonight. However, I was under the impression that OS X could burn Windows compatible disks on its own. Is this not the case?

It can, I just think it chooses not to. You can use hdiutil to make an ISO disk image and then burn that using Disk Utility. It's just easier to use Toast. If you want free stuff, Liquid CD is pretty good:

http://www.maconnect.ch/index.php?page=liquidcd&lang=en