UMPC, anyone?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all.

My original 12" powerbook is getting a little long in the tooth and this, combined with my rather limited needs out of a portable have got me considering a UMPC.

It boils down to this:

95% of the time, I need a portable for word processing, email, web, and chat and that's about it.

5% of the time, I need Dreamweaver, Photoshop Elements, etc.

I'm basically on the prowl for a rig that is small, light, and reasonably powerful when I need it to be. A Palm/PocketPC won't work (tried it). Right now I'm experimenting with a Newton (for the second time). Size and weight are my huge concerns, though.

Here's the usage scenario I'm thinking about: carrying my rig to the library, where I'll sit for 10 hours and type/transcribe. On a hot day. And I have to take the subway, which is hot. In June. I won't be ripping DVDs or CDs on it. I won't be watching videos on it.

Unless I want to. And if I want to, I want to be able to (even if I have to rip the DVD first).

Basically, I'm looking to get a piece of gear that's a little more suited to my needs than the 12" PB+power adapter, which can get remarkably heavy when you're wagging it around in the hotness. A UMPC that's measured in ounces plus some kind of portable keyboard would be considerably lighter.

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the UMPC for something like this. I'm somewhat platform agnostic, so OS isn't really a concern. But if Apple comes out with some kind of sub-notebook, I'll give it a serious look.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Check out a Sony TX140,150,or 160 on ebay. MY tx160 weighs 3lbs, is plenty powerful (see my posts on this formum as to what it can do), easy to type on, has built in bluetooth,ODD, 1 GB RAM and wifi. Battery life is 4-6 hours depending on settings. Adapter weighs about 0.5 lbs. I've had mine for 3 years. I travel a lot. It goes with me every where in and out of the house.You might get one for $500-600 on ebay. Best computer I ever owned bar none. You can upgrade HD to 100 GB now if you want.