new airport extreme vs old

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i have an old ap extreme (the spaceship looking one) in the back of my house and a new one (the square one) in the front. i set it up as two different wireless networks instead of one extended one. anyway they are both running at 54 mbps with full signal strength and are 802.11g because i am using a macbook. the question is: the speed is faster on the old airport compared to the new one. this is based on 2wire and speakeasy tests. anyone know why or have a suggestion. i am not using wep for either.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

i have an old ap extreme (the spaceship looking one) in the back of my house and a new one (the square one) in the front. i set it up as two different wireless networks instead of one extended one. anyway they are both running at 54 mbps with full signal strength and are 802.11g because i am using a macbook. the question is: the speed is faster on the old airport compared to the new one. this is based on 2wire and speakeasy tests. anyone know why or have a suggestion. i am not using wep for either.

What is the multicast rate for both of them? Also what channel are they on? Do you have interference robustness on both of them? Last but not least, check to see if the transmit power is the same for both. If they have the exact same setting with exeption to the channels then who knows where the difference is. I would suggest setting your units to either channel 1-6-11 but not the same for both of them.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    thanks. i changed channels and i think that helped.