external harddrive issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, so I bought a WD external harddrive for my MBP and it works great. but recently i moved my iphoto library to the external and now whenever i connect my harddrive it automaticlly opens up iphoto and is in import mode. for some reason it thinks my harddrive is a camera or whatever and it asks to import items. the items happen to be a folder i also have on the harddrives labelled "videos" where i store all my movies and videos. How can i stop it from doing this? its really irritating cause everytime i connect it, the harddrive has to load through all 600 movie files i have, and many are very large files (several GBs). and many times iphoto will simply not respond because it overloads it i guess! thanks for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock View Post

Ok, so I bought a WD external harddrive for my MBP and it works great. but recently i moved my iphoto library to the external and now whenever i connect my harddrive it automaticlly opens up iphoto and is in import mode. for some reason it thinks my harddrive is a camera or whatever and it asks to import items. the items happen to be a folder i also have on the harddrives labelled "videos" where i store all my movies and videos. How can i stop it from doing this? its really irritating cause everytime i connect it, the harddrive has to load through all 600 movie files i have, and many are very large files (several GBs). and many times iphoto will simply not respond because it overloads it i guess! thanks for your help!

You can try to change the permissions for the folder they are in.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Have you specified in iPhoto preferences that your library is the folder on the external drive?