Parallels Desktop at Build 3188 - FYI

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi, short note, I think I was running build 3185 or 3186. There is latest now 3188 in case anyone has not yet caught wind of that. Looks really quite stable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Initially when updating Parallels Tools in Windows though you might "lose" the mouse cursor for a bit...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,325moderator
    I tried 3188 when I was having trouble booting Bootcamp'd Windows and a word of caution: if you shut down the VM improperly, it leaves the modifications it makes to the Windows boot.ini file, which prevents Bootcamp'd Windows booting up. Also, using Parallels to boot a Bootcamp partition uses a lot of hard drive space for some reason - possibly the page file.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I tried 3188 when I was having trouble booting Bootcamp'd Windows and a word of caution: if you shut down the VM improperly, it leaves the modifications it makes to the Windows boot.ini file, which prevents Bootcamp'd Windows booting up. Also, using Parallels to boot a Bootcamp partition uses a lot of hard drive space for some reason - possibly the page file.

Have you tried setting the page file size manually in Windows? See if that reduces the drive usage? And I presume you mean the drive space on the Mac partition? Or Windows partition?

In your Parallels folder do you have a big .mem file or something like that? how big is the .hdd file if you can see it? (.hdd may only be for non-Bootcamp windows installs).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,325moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Have you tried setting the page file size manually in Windows? See if that reduces the drive usage? And I presume you mean the drive space on the Mac partition? Or Windows partition?

In your Parallels folder do you have a big .mem file or something like that? how big is the .hdd file if you can see it? (.hdd may only be for non-Bootcamp windows installs).

Yeah the file is on the Mac partition - there is no hdd using the Bootcamp partition. To save space on the Windows side, I keep the pagefile off. Maybe that's what's causing it. It shouldn't though because Windows runs fine without it.