Ebay / Warranty question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi, I'm new here and have been looking through the boards for a some time now, all the while with my eye on a MBP. I have literally (1 hour ago) just picked up a 17" MBP from a guy on Ebay and it occurs to me that I haven't really thought about the warranty issues here. His advert said 1 year warranty and I pretty much took it as read that this would be the case. On further inspection of the info inside the box it seems to suggest that the warranty is only valid for the original purchaser. The book is brand new, never registered and he didn't pass me the receipt, I haven't tried to get it from him yet but will give it a shot if that's what is needed. Also whilst reading the boards I have noticed that people recommend getting Applecare round here (in general at least), and to me it seems like a good idea too. Have I ruined my chances of being eligible for this by buying in the way that I have?

PS Sorry if this is already covered on the boards somewhere else, I've not seen it and I had a quick search but I would really like an answer as soon as possible to put my slightly worried mind at ease.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Cheers for the reply dude. Appreciated.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanza View Post

Cheers for the reply dude. Appreciated.

Are you sure it isn't a grey market machine? If so, you may not be covered.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I bought a G3 PowerBook on eBay once. I went to get the power supply replaced under recall and discovered that the serial numbers had disappeared.