stropping ipod=fixed?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was flying back to school the other day and i was talking to the guy next to me. He was really weird and seemed sort of stung-out (if you know what i mean). Anyway, he was telling me that he heard you could fix an iPod by dropping it from eye level onto a carpet. I decided he was crazy and left it at that.

When i got back to school, a friend lamented to me how his iPod stopped working and he tried everything. I told him what i guy on the plane said and he refused to try it.

Well, apparently, he got stressed out by his ipod not working and decided to try it. Low and behold, it worked.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Any ideas why it worked? My guess was a stuck write-head that got unstuck.

Let me know what you think

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jwink3101 View Post

I was flying back to school the other day and i was talking to the guy next to me. He was really weird and seemed sort of stung-out (if you know what i mean). Anyway, he was telling me that he heard you could fix an iPod by dropping it from eye level onto a carpet. I decided he was crazy and left it at that.

When i got back to school, a friend lamented to me how his iPod stopped working and he tried everything. I told him what i guy on the plane said and he refused to try it.

Well, apparently, he got stressed out by his ipod not working and decided to try it. Low and behold, it worked.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Any ideas why it worked? My guess was a stuck write-head that got unstuck.

Let me know what you think

I number of years ago I had an Amiga with a disk drive that would get stuck if I let it cool down. The computer would work perfectly until I shut it down for over an hour. If I then wanted to re-boot the system I had to remove the hard drive and give it a very quick torsional twist about the spindle axis to break the spindle free. I then put it back in the system and powered it up and all was well

This was very repeatable.